Click Wheel iPods Gone?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CubaTBird, Jan 1, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

I got a theory, if you look at macrumors buying guide it leaves only a day left for not buying an ipod... Considering the fact that the minis need an update.. What if steve releases a 5TH gen normal ipod at mw and also a new mini to complement it. Would this be out of the question? :p

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Yes. It would be out of the question. With the Click wheel - reinstated and no major enhancements at this time, the only possible thing would be 80 gigs. Still doubt that for a while though - considering they recently released the Photo.

kyle

3. mms macrumors 6502a

80GB... like anybody would ever need that for music.
    80GB iPod Photo eventually is conceivable, depending on the popularity of the current iPod Photo. However, I haven't heard anything of an 80GB drive at that size (Toshiba would have leaked it like with the 60, right :) ) and the iPod Photo just came out. A new mini, pretty likely; 5G iPods, I'd be willing to bet against.

4. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

i believe seagate have an 80gig at a similar size, i think i saw it round here somewhere....

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

The 80gb drives exist (don't remember which manufacturer), they'll almost certainly be in iPods announced at macworld. But no, no interface changes-- I think Apple is really happy with the click-wheel. Solves the problems that previous interfaces had, and it's still very much in line with their philosophy and aesthetic. So, I'd expect:

60gb and 80gb iPod photo
    40gb and 60gb iPods (maybe 60/80, not sure)
    5gb iPod minis, perhaps new colors, or tweaked finishes
    a new special edition? Not sure which artists would be good for this. They won't update the U2 iPod obviously, but they've definitely opened the doors for future SEs.

paul

6. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

7. applekid macrumors 68020

The iPod Minis could go to 5GB with maybe a price change (or I'd like to see a small drop).

And of course, those flash-memory iPods that everybody is banking on to come out. :D

8. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

80gb is no chance. Apple is pissed at the HD manufactoring problems already, they aren't ready for toshiba or hitachi or whoever to screw them again. Plus, the iPod photo, which is the only one that would get the 80, is relativley new.