Clickin noise

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Eckslusive, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Eckslusive macrumors 6502

I hear clickin noise within my computer and it only clicks when the icon bounces or a new program opens a new window or something. Why is that, is it harming my computer and how can i stop it?

2. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Clickin noise

If it's quite a quiet ticking noise, it could well be your processor....

It could also be your HD spinning up, and then your comp accessing it!

One thing I noticed over Christmas when I had 3 different PowerBook G4's sent to me (I always had 2 at a time for a short period) I noticed that every machine had different characteristics, none were the same, some were noisier, some were quieter, different build quality etc etc.

3. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

I have the 17 inch powerbook, and I wondered the same thing, I called apple, it is normal, even the display models do that in the apple store. dont worry. Although, i would like to know what it is also
    ~Andreas

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Clickin noise

How can a processor make a noise besides a hum/whine of some sort?

It's very likely to be your hard drive. Yes, that's normal as long as it isn't a very loud click and grinding noise.

5. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

I believe it has to do with your HD. I've had the same issue with my G4 PowerMac 450. Whenever I'm running low on HD space it starts to click, when I archive my files and clear up more space it goes away. Wouldn't worry about it too much, its done it for the last 2 years and I've owned my G4 for around 4 years without any problems.

6. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Re: Re: Re: Clickin noise

The procesor makes noise? It probably should'nt seeing that it has no moving parts.....

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

its your HD. many people new to computers are quite alarmed by this. a processor doesn't make any noise to speak of.

don't worry about it unless it clicks a LOT when you're not using the computer (and nothing is happening)... or when it tics rhythmically for a long time, that can signal HD failure...

pnw

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: Re: Clickin noise

Actual due to the heat and other variables solid state electronics can emit a high pitch whine. I was wondering about the previous statement about CPUs making clicking sounds. I don't see how they can as you have stated they have no moving parts. The only time they ever make clicking sounds is when you are installing or removing them.

9. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Hard drives are like people, every single one of the is different. Some make noises, some dont.

10. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Processor can only make noise once !
    It is usually followed shortly by the smell of burnt silicon :D

I have a Dual 967 PMac. It makes the clicking sound as well. This sound is the harddrive. If you listen closely (can be hard with a windtunnel), you'll hear first a click which is the harddrive's head unparking and the spinning up of the drive platters. This is normal for a hard drive startup sequence.

I haven't checked yet, but there might be a way to turn off this behavior. Some kind of power saving feature.

11. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Re: Clickin noise

I have noticed that on my 1.42 there is a strange mechanical sound that occurs outside of the usual pleasant hum. iJon has reported a similar mechanical sound. (see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23580). STRANGE, but I experienced it the most with Safari - I took Safari off and it stopped.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Clickin noise

You're probably hearing Safari read and write to it's disk cache.