Clicking noise coming from iBook speakers?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andrewlacey, Aug 25, 2003.

1. andrewlacey macrumors newbie

Hello all.

I'm a complete Mac novice but I seem to be managing with my new iBook - I'm gradually getting to grips with OSX having been a longtime Windows user. But to the issue...

I've got a 14" iBook and lately I've noticed an occasional clicking noise coming from the speakers. It's inconsistent in the respect that it can happen when any app is running (it even does it sometimes without any apps running) and the only way to prevent it from happening is to mute the speakers in System Preferences, which is hardly ideal.

I've considered the fact that electrical interference from electrical appliances, cell phones etc. close by can cause this - I'm quite sure this isn't the cause.

Any help is much appreciated :(

Thanks,

Andrew

2. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

is it only on battery? Apple turns the speakers off when on battery to save power. So you get a click or pop when a noise might be coming as the speakers get powered back up. Its that way on my powerbook and lots of other people have experianced it.

3. andrewlacey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I believe it only happens when using the battery but the clicking is quite regular - one click every 5 seconds or so. It can get quite irritating.

4. maraczc macrumors member

That isn't right.

It should only happen when botting the hard drive (ie. waking it up from sleep). I think you should bring it in for repair.

5. andrewlacey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I feared as much. Oh well, I'll be checking her in for repair. Thanks everyone.

6. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

Hmm, my mom's iBook did the same clicking sounds last night for the first time. I didn't think to try to mute the speakers, though, to stop it. I thought it was coming from the hard drive.

7. frescies macrumors regular

Well...

The ibook does turn its speakers off after abou 30 or so seconds of sound inactivity. Perhaps your running some program that is making your sound board think that the sound is going on and off when it isnt really.

My ibook makes such a "clicking" or "light popping" noise when shutting off it's speakers. But the most this happens on average is not very often as im either making noise with the thing, or im not.

Is it a light popping sound? sorta the sound a 2 inch wide pimple would make if it were to burst? If so it's probably at least somewhat normal

8. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

Re: Well...

*bleargh* Was that analogy really necessary? :D

9. frescies macrumors regular

Re: Re: Well...

Yes :D

10. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

AH HA!!! SO THAT'S WHAT THAT IS!!!!

Even if it's not suppose to happen, it's not annoying enough to send in for three weeks. I thought it was static electricity (like what Palm says is wrong with the Tungsten C)

11. cplee macrumors newbie

I've experienced this clicking sound from my iBook speakers when running on battery since OS 10.2.5 was released. That's why I've chosen to stick to 10.2.4 till now. But at least there is no irritating clicking sound. I don't think we should accept it as normal because it did not happen until 10.2.5. :mad:

--cp

12. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I get similar poping sounds from my 12 inch powerbook, but they are definately not a frequent as your clicks. I get them usually when ever I leave the computer idle for a few seconds then do a sudden action.

I believe that this noise is only the speakers reactivaing themselves, though I could be wrong...