Clicking on icons in panther doesn't work

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nitz, Oct 12, 2004.

1. nitz macrumors member

nitz

Hello,

We run a few programs in classic in 10.3.5 (Quark 3 and Filemaker). Usually we have very little problems, but often when clicking on an icon for a classic document, the doc appears to start to open but nothing happens. Sometimes it will switch to the program if it is running but that's all. We have to keep clicking and clicking until it eventually opens. I tried restarting 9, rebuilding the desktop file and repairing disk permissions but that doesn't help. Any ideas?

thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'd try trashing the Classic preferences (both the Mac OS X ones in your Library and the Mac OS 9 ones, which are either in /System Folder/Preferences or ~/Library/Classic/Preferences (depending on whether or not the "Use Classic Preferences from your home" option is checked).

3. nitz thread starter macrumors member

nitz

Thanks for the tip but unfortunately it didn't work. It seems to only happen with docs for programs running in Classic. It is not only clicking on them that doesn't work but dragging them to the program icon on the dock and right click-->open doesn't work either. Sometimes if you click very rapidly on the icon and show it who's boss, it'll open right up. I might have to call in Tony Danza :)

Otherwise I'm stumped.

4. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

I'm no expert, but how about reinstalling Quark? I have Quark 3.3 too, but I havent had that problem, so far.

Also, what if you try to open the document from a disk or peripheral drive or iPod? That could be just an experiment, or a work-around....for what little that's worth.

5. whitepcpa macrumors newbie

Quark 3 in Panther

I would try repairing the permissions for Classic (also under Disk Utilities)

6. nitz thread starter macrumors member

nitz

Hmmm. I looked in Disk Utility but didn't see anything for permissions for Classic. Am I looking in the wrong place?
    :confused:

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

In the File menu of Disk Utility, there's an item called "Fix OS 9 Permissions". This is what you want.