Clicking sound coming from new Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by hamster, Apr 29, 2005.

1. hamster macrumors newbie

Apr 28, 2005
    Hi all you Mini owners - just a quick question. Just got my machine today and in getting things set up and doing my first bit of browsing, setting adjustment, etc. I've noticed a clicking sound coming from the machine every now and then -- I'm guessing it's the harddrive doing its thing - but it happens pretty frequently (every 10 seconds or so). Anybody else have a similar experience?
  2. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Jan 19, 2003
    In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    i get a sound on my G5 whenever a scroll. I don't know if it's the hard drive or what... cause I don't see how scrolling would make a sound on my hard drive. If my video card or ram is making it, then that's really weird.

Anyway, on my other computers during active use my hard drives would make noise frequently. It also depends on how much ram you have and how much needs to be paged out which requires hard disk activity.
  3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2003
    Every now and then my Mini makes a weird noise, too. It's kind of a hollow thumping noise, that sounds kinda like a small hollow ball being dropped from a very short height and quickly bouncing a couple times (but damping out rapidly). Always seems to happen when I click on something or initiate some kind of action. Not worried about it, but it is a little strange.
  4. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2005
    Isnt this an indication that the HD may be on the way out??? I'm getting this too!!
  5. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    To the guy above...

My GF had what sounded like a clicking/chirping noise coming from her iMac G5 it ended up being the HDD about to fail even though it still passed verification you may want to get some one to look at it.