Clicking sounds on hard drives?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Caddy, May 25, 2003.

1. Caddy macrumors member

Mar 13, 2003

I had to switch back for a number of reasons (to the Pc World). I liked the Mac platform but the Word processing just killed me (long story)

Anyway, I got myself a Sony because I heard they were comparable to Mac, and I paid a bit of cash too. I noticed the hard drive always makes this clicking noise, almost constantly. Does anyone know the solution to this/or if there is one.

I thought with all the former pc users on here, and the general knowledge, that someone may have some info.

thanks in advance.
  2. TMA macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2003
    What sort of clicking sound? Some sounds are normal for Hard Disk's. You can hear them spin/read & write access. Some Hard Disks are louder than others.

It sounds to me like maybe something is reading or writing to the Disk very often or you are low on RAM and the OS is using the Hard Disk to make up for it.
  3. ezri macrumors newbie

Mar 6, 2003
    Re: Clicking sounds on hard drives?

I'm having the same problem with my brand new ibook. It was driving me crazy so I sent it in for repair. Apple replaced the HD but I had to send it back a second time cause they totally wrecked the finish on my case. I never got a chance to see if the clicking went away.
  4. Wes macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2001
    Clicking hard drives (if it's quite loud) is the sound of a hard drive that will soon fail, back up all your data.
  5. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2003
    What kind of clicking? Is it loud? Does it sound like normal HD access, or a loud click? If its loud and rather constant, it might be the dreaded click of death. Back up your HD now and run a HD diagnostic test to check if your HD is malfunctioning.

The diagnostic tests can be downloaded free from your HD manufacturers website.