Client tracking software for photographers

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tuartboy, Dec 4, 2006.

1. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    I am a Computer Graphic Arts / Systems graduate with a small event photography business. Business has grown recently to the point where I am starting to need a way to track clients and handle information and mailing.

I do a lot of memorabilia-related jobs where I will go and shoot the group event and take orders for DVDs from the attendees. It works great and the sales come in, but it means that instead of a 1:1 client/job ratio I get about a 80:1 ratio on average. I can end up with 100's of new clients a week and I need to keep their information around and generate labels so I can ship them their orders. I also do traditional and commercial photography and need a system that can handle those needs as well.

With my systems background I know I could code this thing in a week or two and customize it to my needs and wants. I would much rather look for a commercial system that can suit my needs than go that route, however. So, I turn to you guys to see if you have any suggestions. Below is a list of needs and wants and I'll do my decision analysis based on this requirements list.

- Must store client data (name, address, phone, etc...)
    - Must be able to create jobs and assign multiple clients to said job.
    - Must be able to attach clients to multiple jobs.
    - Jobs and clients must be able to be tagged with notes.
    - Must have a fast interface. Either cocoa app or web app with lightweight interface.
    - Must have an advanced search feature to find clients or jobs on any term.

Wants (rated 1-10, 10 = most important):
    - Skype link to phone # embedded = 3
    - Generate pdf labels for a single or arbitrary group of clients = 10
    - Calendar integration with iCal or google calendar = 5

I made the list as simple and loose as I can. If anyone can think of anything that would fit my needs or something tailored specifically to photo client management, let me know.
  2. Bocheememon macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2006
    Fertile, MN
    Here is my recommendation!

Here is my recommendation! I've used the software and I found it to have all that I need. I'm in a small business as well.

I believe this program may have most of what you need!

For 40 dollars, that is dirt cheap compared to paying a few hundred dollars for Filemaker!

Give it a try!