Clipping paths

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zim, Nov 18, 2004.

1. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    I am creating clipping paths for some images to be used in a book. I have decided to create the clipping paths in photoshop (files will be used in inDesign). I read a book that suggested using an alpha channel instead, saying it was easier... can anyone verify that? I have used clipping paths before but because I am going to be detached from the final proofing of this project, I am being a bit cautious... my questioning is this, if my images have about 100 or so, maybe a little more, points and a majority of the lines range from straight to a slight curve, the images are of artwork that has been cut from a canvus so no 100% straight lines, would a flatness of 3 be okay?

2. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

Alpha channels are much easier AND you can have anti-aliased edges, as well as semi-transparency if you'd like. Add to that not having to deal with points or flatness settings.

DO IT!!!
  3. Mickel Clark macrumors newbie

Mickel Clark

Jul 9, 2015
    Alpha Channel is a Raster Masking primarily in Adobe Photoshop that requires Photoshop Masking techniques with RGB, CMYK, and various other Custom Channels. Channel Masking is the best way to accomplish silhouette/clipping path for sophisticated images.