Clock just stops.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Brother Michael, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

A friend of mine is having trouble with her Mac.

She said the clock just stopped at 4:38. She also said that if she tries to click on anything in the toolbar (like the clock, bluetooth, wifi) she just gets a pinwheel.

Anyone know anything off the top of their head? I tried googling OS X Tiger "Clock Issues" and some similiar and I received articles/sites about proc speed.

I told her to repair the permissions and reboot. Haven't heard back yet.

I honestly have no idea what to search for.

2. Lazyhound macrumors regular

3. Brother Michael thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Is there another indication of that? Like would personal settings be messed up or something?

4. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I sort of remember something like this discussed here before. And if I remember correctly, we came to the conclusion that it had something to do with having your iPod plugged in. If an iPod is plugged in, try unplugging it and see what happens.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sounds like her system froze up - new RAM perhaps?

Mine has done it occasionally since 10.4.2 but haven't yet found a probable cause; I just reboot and all is well.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

What's happening behind the scenes (assuming that the entire OS isn't just frozen) is that the part of the OS that handles the menubar extras (clock, monitors, sound, etc) is stalled, freezing everything in it and generating the beachball. I've heard of several things that can cause this, most often a bum menubar extra, but perhaps the iPod issue is the case here...