Cloned and back

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blackscooby, Feb 9, 2007.

1. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Hi,

I've got some time off work in the next couple of weeks, bizzarely I'm off on a road trip taking my parents camper from UK to southern Spain, where they'll fly out and meet me. I then fly back. (as I said quite some road trip !)

Anyways, I want to put a load of movies / TV programmes onto my Macbook so that I can watch something in the evenings. I've got Carbon Copy installed with an image on an external HD.

Is there any reason why I cannot perform a fresh install of OSX with minimal OSX OS and put my movies on. (Maximizing my disk space).

Once I come back I'll just wipe the disk and put back my original image which contains all my apps and documents.

Can anyone see any issues with this ?

Cheers

Mark

2. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

No issue at all. Just configure CCC to scan the image for Apple Software Restore when its done cloning, and you can go willy nilly with a fresh installation of whatever you want. At any time, you can use Disk Utility to restore the old image and return your system to exactly the state it was before.

I keep a such an image of my PowerBook's drive on an external FW400/USB2.0 drive that has a virgin installation of MacOS X on it (along with a few utilities and CCC). Since its bootable, its saved me from quite a bit of pain in the past.

EDIT:

I've also done this technique using the built in command-line tool dd. dd is useful when you want to try to create an image of a drive that has errors and will not mount/is slow to mount. It can be configured to ignore bad sectors (padding them out with zeros) when reading blocks from a drive. Useful trick that can really save the day.

3. blackscooby thread starter macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Cool.

Just remembered it's SuperDuper I use... not Carbon Copy ~ doh.
    Not sure if this allows me to restore w/o purchasing !

I'll perform a backup using Carbon Copy as I know this works from reading around.

Any ideas which is better, CC or SuperDuper, or any advantages / disadvantages between the 2.

Ta

EDIT > just read some more and found that CCC isn't Intel compatable.

4. blackscooby thread starter macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Just done the math. At $27.95 SuperDuper ain't worth not buying ! (About £15!!)

Just reading the PDF Manual and it sound just what I want. Now where's that OEM install disk... Let's wipe that Mac :eek: