"Cloned" drive won't boot up!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mac King, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Mac King macrumors newbie

Jul 7, 2005
    My son just cloned his G3 drive to another drive using SuperDuper. Now, trying to boot from the new drive, he receives the error message "You are unable to log in to the user account "elon" at this time."

Elon is the name of the new drive. Nothing more. He can't get beyond this. What can we do.

Unfortunately, his dvd player went out, so we don't have the option of using the DVD to boot to at this time.

Any suggestions? Your help deeply appreciated!
  2. appletalk macrumors member

Jan 21, 2005
    Pacific Coast
    I would attach the computer to another computer by firewire cable. Then boot the broken computer in Target Disk mode. You do this by holding down the "T" key while booting the machine. Make sure the working machine is booted up first.

Once the broken computer boots, it will show up on the working computer's desktop as a firewire drive. Then you can use the working computer to install a working OS onto the broken computer. Once done, eject the broken (now fixed) disk off of the working computer by dragging to the trash.

Restart broken computer and copy over files from the superduper clone manually.

Hope I have helped. Good luck!
  3. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

Mar 12, 2005
    Hermitage, TN USA (near Nashville)
    DVD players (IDE) can be had for $10 on ebay. Sure, it'll take a week or two, but you'll have what you need to boot from a CD. Otherwise, did he clone one drive to another within the same computer? [I think that is the only way CCC will copy them anyhow, but.....] Is the other drive bootable? If so, simply physically remove the cloned drive from the computer to force the computer to boot from the original drive. Also, when rebooting after removing, reset the PRAM [Command-Option-P-R at startup for at least three chimes]. Then go into Startup Disk and reset the original disk as the startup disk. Doing so should allow you to rehookup the cloned drive and still startup from the original drive.

More details are needed. [What kind of drives, how were they hooked up, what were the jumper settings, what computer exactly, etc.]
  4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    Do it again, and this time use Carbon Copy Cloner. (www.bombich.com) It's free and has never failed me on hundreds of uses. There are other, much more complicated ways, but this is the fastest and cleanest, since this could be about anything. But why go hunting? Time is money. Oh, and keep the name of the drive "Macintosh HD" forever.
  5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Shouldn't the cloned drive have the same name as the original? Sound like thats not the case here and could be the root of the problem.