Cloned my startup disk, now having intermittent problems...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by emw, Apr 17, 2005.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

Okay, a couple of months ago I had a failure of some sort on my iMac hard drive. I was able to recover everything, but in the process of all I did, I decided to buy a new LaCie d2 external hard drive, install Panther on it, and make it a fully bootable drive with all my stuff on it.

I then reformatted my iMac hard drive and took the lazy way out by using Carbon Copy Cloner to move everything back to the iMac hard drive.

Everything seemed to be okay, aside from the occasional permissions issues (and by the way, the whole "Apply to enclosed items..." selection on permissions never seems to work the way I think it should), but now I'm noticing some other weird behavior, such as Software Update won't run from the Apple menu if the external HD is mounted. If I eject the d2 and select Software Update, then it works fine. Also, TiVo desktop can't share Pictures - can't even be set to share pictures. This could be unrelated, but I'm going to blame the cloning anyway.

So my question is - anyone know what the heck is going on and if it can simply be fixed? I am assuming I might have to start over, create a new backup (although I now do weekly backups), and then reformat and re-install Panther. I ordered Tiger, so perhaps I'll just wait and see if a fresh install of that fixes the problem, but I'm still curious as to what may have caused all of this.

I've repaired permissions, updated to 10.3.9, and deleted pretty much every preference file on my system.

Thanks for any feedback.

2. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Have you renamed the Mac HD since restoring on to it? Maybe rename it back and give the external HD a new name.

3. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Hadn't thought of that - but it makes some sense. I'll see if it does anything.