Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Ok, on the PC it is possible to use a program called Ghost (by symantec) that basically makes an image of your Hard disk so that if something goes wrong you can very easily restore it. This includes the OS + programs.

Whats the equivalent on the Mac??

Thanks

stoid

macrumors 601
Some people use Carbon Copy Cloner. Check http://www.versiontracker.com for that.

Otherwise and I think that it might be either included with the Apple system, or a free download perhaps, much faster, but requires you to use the terminal imageJaguar

It's so much better than CCC, it's in beta form, but I've been told by Apple reps that the only reason it still has beta status is because they want to eventually add a GUI. I would say that imageJaguar would be first choice, especially if you are cloning to multiple machines. I did a 24 computer eMac lab in one day at about 20-25 mins per machine with an uncompressed clone size of nearly 3GB.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Thanks for the reply. Is there such a tool for OS9? I am asking because I help look after a lab of iMacs + dont want to have to go round each iMac installing the OS + basic programs on each. I want to be able to install it over the network.

Thanks

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
There is an OS 9 version of Apple Software Restore (ASR) as well, that supports network installs.

To get a copy, you'll have to go through the Apple Rep for your school/company.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
OS9 is basically a copy and paste job. That's all I've ever done and OS9 has never quit working for me.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
CarbonCopyCloner does it for Mac OS X, and it's free.

Apple also has a command-line tool (ASR) built into OS X since Jaguar, but it's not for the faint of heart...

...or the faint of butt?

sorry, another strong bad quote, i couldn't resist it.

Back OT:

is it possible to make a .dmg file of an entire harddisk? Do disk images maintain permissions etc?

just a thought.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by mrjamin
...or the faint of butt?

sorry, another strong bad quote, i couldn't resist it.

Back OT:

is it possible to make a .dmg file of an entire harddisk? Do disk images maintain permissions etc?

just a thought.

Hey, quit acting like a squeaky guy!! :p

Actually, making .dmgs is exactly what ASR and CarbonCopyCloner do, and the permissions are kept intact. :D

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Thanks everyone. I am mainly planning the upgrade to 10.3 in a couple of months. At the moment, all the Macs are running OS9 to 9.2. No OSX at all. We are going to switch over (with all the apps) + was wanting to make it go smoothly.

Cheers again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.