cloning and merging hds

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Anarchy99, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

i have a tower with 4 hard drives all are about 30gigs each
    one has osx another os9 and the other 2 have files and no systems
    i want to put in a big drive instead of all those is there anyway to clone and merge them so i could have a 320gb with my osx, os9 all my files and the remaining free space of a 320gb drive

2. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

I think the only thing to make sure is to install OS9 drivers on the new disk when you format it. You should be good to go with Carbon Copy Cloner apart from that. Clone the OS 9 drive to the new one, then the OS X drive to the new one (it should keep the existing data when you do the second clone). You can copy the files-only drives as normal if you like, or you might like to partition the new drive before doing any of this, to keep them separate in case you ever want to reformat/reinstall the OS(s) without having to wipe the files too.

I think that should all be fine, but I'd wait for another reply to confirm that. Still, there'd no harm done in trying it I guess if it's a new, blank drive, just make sure you check OS9 and OS X both boot before wiping the existing drives (might be good to use them for backups I guess)