Cloning Drives from One Computer to Another

Discussion in 'macOS' started by numark, Jan 2, 2006.

1. numark macrumors member

The display on my iBook went belly-up on me, and I made the big mistake of not backing up my drive ahead of time. While I can't see anything on the screen, I can access the hard disk fine on my G5 by using Firewire Target Disk Mode.

Before I ship it away to Apple for warranty repair, I want to get a clone of the hard drive, so if something happens and the drive comes back blank, I can still restore all my applications and data (not to mention having my data available in the meantime). The thing is, I can't seem to find anything that will clone drives from one computer to another. I looked at Carbon Copy Cloner, but I haven't seen any evidence of it supporting Target Disk Mode. Does it, or does anyone know of anything else I can use to get my data off? Thanks!

2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

all you need to do is:

1. Plug into the desired computer via Target Disk Mode

2. after it appears on the desktop, use CCC to clone your HD [or whatever you want cloned]

3. Then choose the destination folder [or you might be able to do something like a save as] to the other HD.

I suppose i could be more help if i actually had the program installed, but this is all i can remember from when i used it.

Good Luck

3. benwa02 macrumors 6502

You laptop drive should just show up as a HD. Then you could do exactly what the previous post said copy the laptop drive to another drive with Carbon Copy Cloner. I have used the program a few times and it works great. Awesome piece of software and its free.

4. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Super Duper allows this. A window opens up in which you can choose to back up any partition connected to the computer that you're running it on. You can do this with the free trial/unregistered version too.

**EDIT**
    Super Duper pic. Notice that it shows external drives (firewire icon)

Attached Files:

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I don't know about CCC, but I know that SuperDuper! will let you select the source and destination disks to clone. If your iBook disk shows up as just another disk, I don't see why this approach would not work (as already stated above for CCC).

EDIT: I see that neocell beat me to it!

6. numark thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll try out SuperDuper tomorrow and see how it works. Thanks again!