Cloning Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChrisFromCanada, Sep 28, 2004.

1. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Hello, as you can see in my profile I have over 300 posts here and most of those are from me helping newbs but now I am in some trouble and I need some help so I ask for as much help as you guys can offer.

To start I had a a 350Mhz iMac with a 40Gb HD and a 400MHz iMac with a 13Gb HD and I needed to switch the HDs but the Data on the 400MHz iMac has to stay the same. So, I used Carbon Copy Cloner to make disk images of both HDs and I switched the HDs with no porblems. But now I am not really sure how to put the disk images that I have made back on to the 400MHz imac. I currently have it in target disk mode and in disk utility the hard drive comes up, but, when I use the restore function and selcet my disk image and the target it says an error (16) occurs. I have also tried mounting the disk image and dragging overall the files but is says I do not have access permissions to copy the library folder or the applications folder etc...

So what can I do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You have to have the disk image setup as a special kind of disk image... ASR ... Apple Software Restore. or something like that. Maybe someone else knows exactly how to do it? I remember you have to do it through the terminal, and it takes a looooooonnngg time.

3. ChrisFromCanada thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

There has to be an easier way than that. What if I got a FW case and put the HDs in there to be cloned.

4. ChrisFromCanada thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I think I just figured it out. I mounted the disk image then opened up CCC then selected the disk image to read from and the imac in FW target disk mode to be the target. It is working so far **crosses fingers**

5. cazlar macrumors 6502

I believe CCC has the option to make the clone into ASR format, but I've never tried it myself.

6. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

Do you need the information on the 40GB? If not, just use the 40gb as a target disk and clone over it. Then use the 13GB for the other computer.