Cloning Mac OS to multiple systems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by digits, Sep 11, 2006.

1. digits macrumors newbie

Hello All, (Former PC user switching to Mac)
    Can you clone one Mac OS to multiple systems without having any type of duplication problems like those found with a PC? Using past experience with a PC you have to change the SID (Security ID) utilizing SYSPREP to avoid duplicate SID’s. Do Mac’s have any similar duplication problems? Or does it depend on the Mac OS version?

Thanks
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. dr_lha macrumors 68000

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

sounds like he want to slipstream an image to install mac os on may machines -

5. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

WTF people?

This is the 4th thread today that there has been an obvious type-o and you guys just pounce all over it!

You know very well that he meant MAC OS (Look at your keyboard.... the X and C are right next to each other). Yes, maybe he should watch his typing a little better, but damn! This is why the new switchers HATE dealing with Mac people. It's a HUGE turnoff.

We keep trying to get people to switch, but then jump all over then when they make the smallest mistake.

6. digits thread starter macrumors newbie

SORRY!!!! It’s a typo… I'll resubmit the question.

7. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Sorry that these guys jumped all over you. I hope it doesn't change your opinion of this group as a whole. I switched about a year ago and the same thing happened to me. Just one little mistake and I got a nice new a$$hole out of it. I ended up not coming back here for almost 9 months.

BTW - you may want to edit your title too.

8. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

As far as I know, You can simply duplicate the drive without a problem. I'm not sure if it will effect how the SMB file system works, but you won't have any issue with AFP.

For a simpler way to do what I think you are doing (laptop and desktop?), start one in target mode and just drag your home folder over, and any applications that you need.

I use "Synchronize Pro! X" to sync my notebook and desktop.

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

unfortunately we can't edit titles here. so be prepared for another 15 mails regarding that typo. just ignore them. in some way they help because they bump your thread up until somebody has something useful to say.

btw.: thanks for the question because i'm interested in the same thing. i also would like to know if such a cloned system would work on different models and across intel/PPC mac's.

P.S.: if you find any spelling mistakes you can keep them.

10. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

If you are not doing a netboot or netrestore option (likely your not running OS X Server, you can easily clone a drive with any number of utilities. Cloning a drive across similar chip sets shouldn't cause a problem. I use Carbon Copy Cloner also know as CCC. It's a great program, and if you really find it useful the developer would love a donation. SilverKeeper which is free for those that have Lacie drives. There is also Super Duper which is about 28 bucks.

Restoring from a clone is easy, but can be time consuming. It works best from a FireWire drive. I could find the FW 4 and 8 v.s. USB 1.x and 2.x comparisons, but I really don't feel like searching for them.

Now for the bad news. Regardless of the OS, if a machine has a specific network ID, that is a static ID, that will need to be changed. Also some software can linked to MAC (Media Access Control) addresses, so if you change computers with out changing the MAC address (this is possible with OS X) then your software will not work. I am not aware of any software for the Mac that is attached to a MAC address, but there could be some. If your network is set up for DHCP, then you shouldn't have any problems with the IP address. As far as the MAC address, I wouldn't worry about it.

By the way, if you change the MAC address on your Mac a neat little reminder pops up. Something from Stan Lee. ;)

11. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Such language for something so trivial. Not justified. Mind your manners.

12. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Eniregnat

Ok, you got me. At the risk of taking this thread for a little ride - how do you change the MAC addy on a Mac as you say? Are you referring to the Ethernet MAC or the Wireless MAC (or other)

AFAIK, the MAC addy's are flashed to the controller chips at the factory and cannot be changed, is my knowledge old?