Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Hi - I work for a college and for the labs I have been building and then cloning machines in OS 9 for a long time with the help of Disk Copy and Software Restore. I am fairly new to OS X and I can see how to make an image of a disk, but how can you use a disk image to then clone a machine?

Is there a software restore equivalent? If not, is it as simple as dragging the contents of the image onto a formatted disk? Also, I've noticed that even a stripped-down install of Jaguar requires is larger than 800 MB, which would make it difficult to fit an image onto a CD with a bootable system folder. Is there a known way to span an image across 2 disks?

In this case I am cloning 15" LCD iMacs.

Thanks,

Adam

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
under 10.1, there was a utility called "BootCD" that would allow you to make a bootable cd from the system configuration on your hard drive, an add any other applications that you wanted (i have not tried it under 10.2). as you said, 10.2 may be too big to fit entirely onto one cd, but you can probably squeeze a minimum system install onto a single disk with bootcd, and then just copy whatever apps you're using to a seperate cd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.