Close Lid and Not Lose Connection??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pismonium, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Pismonium macrumors member

Is there a way for me to close the lid on my Pismo and not have the internet disconnect?

2. shurst2004 macrumors newbie

Same question here, except I'm using a MBP.

Thanks in advance!

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I know you can run the MacBook Pro in clamshell mode, but I don't know if you'll be able to keep the network connection on either computer.

4. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i don't think you can.... because when you close the lid the computer goes into sleep mode, thus dissconecting the network. but i could be wrong...

6. shurst2004 macrumors newbie

Well can you stop it from sleeping when you close the lid, then? Sorry, I'm a Mac newbie. ;)

7. vv-tim macrumors 6502

No, for some ungodly reason Apple decided to not give you that option in Mac OS X. You can set it up in Windows to do it fine...

If you want to run in clamshell mode in Mac OS X you need an external monitor and keyboard and mouse plugged in...

8. shurst2004 macrumors newbie

I have an external mouse. How would I go about setting up clamshell mode?

9. atticus1178 macrumors regular

look up SleepLess

works great on all my previous mac laptops

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, SleepLess is a good option. I would be very reluctant to use it on a Mac that didn't support clamshell mode while connected to external display and keyboard though (like the iBook)...if you prevent heat from dissipating through the keyboard like some models are designed to do, you're just asking for trouble. An MBP should be fine...don't remember about the Pismo.

InsomniaX is a similar utility, but note that the 10.4.8 update broke this for MB and MBP users.

11. Pismonium thread starter macrumors member

Okay, so it's bad news for my Pismo, yet are you saying that the MBP that I'm about to order (come on Merom) won't allow this either? The reason that I want to do this is that (1) when the boss walks in I'd like to have the appearance of being hard at work on their system and not mine, so I'd like to close mine and slide it into the cubby hole and (2) if I'm downloading and want say go into another room or drive down the street (supported by my evdo connection) my dl continues without interuption. If this is true I wish Apple would get on top of things like this.

Also, where do I find "clamshell mode"?

Thx for the responses

12. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You can do it easily with an external display hooked up.

I am doing it all the time with my MacBook Pro.

13. shurst2004 macrumors newbie

Excellent! Thanks so much, getting ready to install it now. :)

14. vv-tim macrumors 6502

You need an external display... I'm not sure what all needs to be plugged in for it to run, but you AT LEAST need the external display plugged in.

15. Pismonium thread starter macrumors member

I have an external display, kb and mouse plugged in and it still lost connection when I closed the lid. Where would I even begin looking for "Clamshell"?

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

17. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yes.

18. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Sleepless is in the same boat as InsomniaX, Sleepless uses the identical open-source insomnia kernel extension but charges 10 bucks for the interface and a few extra added features.

It is very unfortunate that the 10.4.8 update broke Insomnia.

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Thanks for the scoop...I hadn't heard that SleepLess was also affected by this. Any luck troubleshooting InsomniaX?

20. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Your laptop must support Clamshell mode a.k.a. lid-closed operation. Macbook Pros, Macbooks, and Powerbooks (i think) are the only laptops to support this feature.

21. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Currently all the developers i have contacted are coming up short on a fix for the Insomnia file, the only major hope is we get the 10.4.8 kernel code and that could be in a month or two.

22. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

I would like to revive this thread and see if apple has come up with a solution or are these 3rd party apps still the way to go.

23. emt1 macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure that it's the same. If you plug in an external monitor, you can close the lid without the computer going to sleep. Otherwise, it sleeps.