Close the CD drawer?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by amtberg, Sep 11, 2006.

1. amtberg macrumors newbie

I know you can use the keyboard's eject button to open the CD drawer under Windows, but how do you close it?? Yeah, you can shove the thing in a little and it'll close, but that's frowned upon by virtually every drive manufacturer as being bad for the mechanism. Is there a keyboard trick I'm missing?

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

shouldn't the eject button on the keyboard work....(to open and close)

3. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Can't you just press the eject button again to close it? I personally don't have my own Mac yet, but I think it makes sense to press the eject button again to close the drawer. I could be wrong though.

EDIT: puckhead beat me to it :p

4. amtberg thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish it did, but at least on my machine it just opens the drawer. Pushing it again does nothing.

5. MaxPower2k6 macrumors newbie

in windows explorer/My Computer, if you right click on the drive and click "Eject", does that close it? I'm not sure, but that's my best guess. Either that or hit up www.download.com and see if anyone makes a little freeware system tray app to do it

6. amtberg thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the My Computer eject does the same thing as the keyboard eject. I'll see if I can find a utility and report back (unless someone posts a solution in the meantime).

7. icon57 macrumors newbie

i have been closing cd/dvd drives by hand for 5 years and not once have i ever had a problem or heard that its bad to do it that way!
    you kb should close it, if not, give it a gentle push to close it...no harm will happen to it.

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

open iTunes in windows and use the eject button in the lower right hand corner.

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-icon57

As long as one is gentle, yes. Actually, the drive closing itself upon a push was originally designed as a protective measure.

But as long as you push the drive closed gentle enough not to skip a gear tooth (you'd really have to whack it), you're fine.

10. amtberg thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I guess the nudge method is okay--bugs me a bit though, as Apple should have programmed the KB button to open *and* close.

There are a couple shareware programs at Download.com that do the trick. Soft Eject seems to be the most straightforward and it's only $10. Problem is I can't figure out how to register it. :eek:

11. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-amtberg

Well, on the OS X side it should close it - Windows however, introduces a variable to the equasion that might be your issue.

12. amtberg thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, no question it works on the OSX side. I imagine Apple will get it fixed on the Windows side with Leopard if not sooner.

13. studiox macrumors regular

I didn't know the eject button closed cd-roms etc. on mac. Always had "slot-in" drive (Powerbook, mac mini etc) :D

On my windows box I'm used to close the drawer myself :D

14. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I don't think I've ever closed a CD's drawer using any other method than giving it a nudge. Any other method seems slow to me and the idea of paying $10 for software to close it via the keyboard seems like the daftest thing ever!! Out of every drive I've ever owned that was tray operated, we're looking at at least 10 here, I haven't once managed to cause any damage by giving it a nudge.

15. waremaster macrumors 6502

I use cd eject tool it works quite nice with both superdrives.