Close to going back to PC- Outlook 2011 Required

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ahill698, Nov 21, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 21, 2012
    Leeds UK
    I wonder if anyone could help.
    I am trying to import a pst file from my PC based Outlook 2007 to Mac MS Outlook 2011 on a new Macbook Retina.

I have the file on my desktop and followed the Outlook instructions to import but when import is pressed Outlook appears to hang.

if I force quit Outlook it comes up not responding.

Any suggestions? or a good alternative to Outlook?

pst. file size approx 4gb

All help will be much appreciated, not having an easy time switching so far.
  2. macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2012
    Dont know answer but

I was a life long windows and outlook user until about a year ago and my experience is that Mail and Calendar are great programs and I have far less trouble using them compared to MS Office which while I do have installed, I no longer use. Just a thought.
  3. macrumors 68000

Apr 25, 2012
    Outlook on a Mac doesn't handle local message storage like Outlook on a PC. In fact, the Mac has to convert the messages and import them into an OLM file. That will take a while with a 4 GB PST file. If you can, set it to import overnight, you may find that it will have completed when you return to the machine in the morning.

I actually plan on importing my PST files from my work PC into my work Mac for testing some theories, I'll see how it goes on Monday.