Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ETID

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
hello everyone

I'm wanting to hook up my macbook to an external lcd and have it in closed mode so its (almost) like a desktop with a normal*keyboard and mouse.

My question is if I leave it closed all the time and just put it to sleep when I'm not using it (so I dont have to open it to awitch it on again) will this cause any harm? Also if it gets too hot inside will it take care of that itself (turn itself off?) or just become dangerously hot. I do some video encoding. I love my macbook so want to cause it as least harm as possible:)

thanks for any replies.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
This is how I use mine 90% of the time and have done so since the day I got it back in May and haven't had any problems.

As far as getting to hot, I've noticed when I'm doing something big (encoding, etc) the fans will ramp up but the temperature monitor that I have doesn't indicate that it is more than a degree or two cooler when it isn't hooked to the monitor and I've never had it just power down and I've reached 180-190F.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
hello everyone

I'm wanting to hook up my macbook to an external lcd and have it in closed mode so its (almost) like a desktop with a normal*keyboard and mouse.

My question is if I leave it closed all the time and just put it to sleep when I'm not using it (so I dont have to open it to awitch it on again) will this cause any harm? Also if it gets too hot inside will it take care of that itself (turn itself off?) or just become dangerously hot. I do some video encoding. I love my macbook so want to cause it as least harm as possible:)

thanks for any replies.

Hmm.. your thinking of closing the lid and not using it?

More than often, i plug in a huge display... close mine macbook pro so the sleep light comes on. Then key the cordless keyboard, click on the bluetooth and wait.

Moments later, the macbook pro returns back to life while it's in it's "clamshell mode" then I run Maya for a few hours, some times days and it's fine... doesn't over heat but it does get a little warm. Get yourself a Powerstand and stand the macbook/macbook pro on it's side - this helps it to stay cooler... best of all, if yours is a macbook, you can still use the DVD!

ETID

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
cheers*for the quick replies. I'm very happy that this will work

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
This is how I am running my MacBook Pro right now. I even left it on all night to download stuff. It never gets hot and it stays running perfectly. It's my favurite way to use my MBP.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
If you're concerned about the heat, just get a cooling stand. Even a generic one-fan, $20 stand will keep your computer 15-20 degrees cooler.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.