Closeup Photos of Alleged Lower-Cost Plastic iPhone Rear Shell Compared to iPhone 5

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 19, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Over the past several weeks, an increasing number of photo leaks of what has been claimed to be the rear shell of Apple's rumored upcoming lower-cost plastic iPhone have surfaced, showing a device just slightly larger than the iPhone 5 and carrying the same layout of physical features, albeit with simplified microphone and speaker grille designs along the bottom edge.

Japanese magazine Weekly ASCII now shares some new closeup photos [Google translation, via Mac Otakara] of a yellow version of this plastic rear shell, showing it in good detail while also placing it alongside an iPhone 5 for comparison. The design continues to show a screw hole layout consistent with leaked iPhone 5S logic boards, suggesting that both the iPhone 5S and the lower-cost iPhone may share very similar logic board designs, at least at a broad level.

There is no confirmation that this rear shell is a genuine one leaked from Apple's supply chain, and the sheer number of photo leaks from various sources suggests that some of these parts may simply be unauthorized replacement parts. Still, these parts are appearing in significant quantities standardized around a common design that is also consistent with long-running rumors of Apple's plans for the device. At a minimum, there is a good chance that these parts offer a good representation of what Apple's lower-cost iPhone will look like.

Article Link: Closeup Photos of Alleged Lower-Cost Plastic iPhone Rear Shell Compared to iPhone 5
  2. gedto macrumors member

Jun 1, 2005
    Madrid, Spain
  3. froa macrumors member

Feb 19, 2011
    better than previous pics but still looks like a cheap plastic back case compared to iPhone 5.
  4. Chase817 macrumors member

Jul 6, 2008
    I have a feeling I'm going to want the plastic one more than the more expensive one...
  5. YeahBuddy macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Wow, it really does look like an extremely cheap iPhone when compared to the iPhone 5. But I still think it looks good.
  6. Simba Cub macrumors newbie

Mar 15, 2007
    Brighton, Sussex, UK
    Am I the only one that thinks that the rumoured lite colours smack of radioactive?

7. cwwilson macrumors 65816

Jan 27, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
  8. FirstNTenderbit macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2013
    ASCII - I know what this stand for...

I suddenly feel really old.:)
  9. Mr. Dee macrumors 6502a

Mr. Dee

Dec 4, 2003
    Sorry, not interested

I plan to buy my first smartphone later this year and my decision is setup up on the iPhone. I am not interested in a watered down/hand me down experience. I want the real deal, yes, it cost a little bit more, but its worth it. Especially with how long I keep phones. Going 5 years so far with my current Nokia feature phone.
  10. mono1980 macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2005
    Lansing, MI
  11. kbt1020 macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2010
    The design looks quite nice; I don't know if it's because I'm colorblind or what, but that color does not look too good.
  12. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Mar 19, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Multi coloured products always feel cheaper. They should have stuck with black and white.
  13. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

Jun 11, 2012
    Multi coloured products always look cheap, they should have just stuck with black and white.
  14. xFenixKnightx macrumors member

Jun 17, 2011
    Let me know when the 4.8 - 5" screen iPhone gets leaked.
  15. donutbagel macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2013
    Still looks like something they'd release in eastern Asia. It's brightly multicolored and meant to compete more with Samsung.
  16. tjskywasher macrumors newbie

Jul 19, 2013
    I wish people would stop banging on about a cheap, plastic iPhone. It's never going to happen!
  17. Daalseth macrumors 6502a

Jun 16, 2012
    I Like It Better

OK Colors aside, I never cared for the sharp edge slab look. I like the rounded corners. It just looks like it will fit in the hand better.
  18. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

May 7, 2011
    Looks legit. Even though it's supposed to be the rumored lower-cost iPhone it still has a certain finesse to it that probably only Apple could do. I would willing to buy the lower-cost iPhone vs the iPhone 5S but I'm still afraid of what their going to put inside it...
  19. bushido Suspended

Mar 26, 2008
    lol looks almost better than the "high budget" one with the silly half half back
  20. Jibbajabba macrumors 65816

Aug 13, 2011
    Just thought I am getting the usual out of the way.

"SJ would have / wouldn't have"
    "Never going to happen / will happen"
    "Will never sell / I will queue three days in a line"
    "It will / won't be called iPhone <insert xyz here>"
    "I move to Android / Windows"
    "Looks awesome / sh****"
    "Share Price Up"
    "Share Price Down"
    "Safari is snappier"

So now that's out of the way ... Moving on :)
  21. TWSS37 macrumors 65816

Feb 4, 2011
    Sign me up for the Prestone Antifreeze color as depicted
  22. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Sep 16, 2007
    I like that its uniform, never liked the back of the iPhone 5. Not wild about the color choices, but I'm sure some people will like them.
  23. TWSS37 macrumors 65816

Feb 4, 2011
    Care to elaborate on what 'finesse' you see? Is it the rectangle? The camera/volume cutouts? The font? :rolleyes: