Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
If true, I hope the cheaper version phone is the one that retains the smaller size so the people that LOVE the smaller size can have that. And it will still fit in their pants pockets.
Then I hope a larger phone has the typical Iphone quality, and thats when I'll return to iPhone. Then EVERYBODY can be happy.

pbt

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
Waterproof?

The iPhone 5 is beautiful, but not so much when you have to put a case on it. If this would offer the same protection from minor drops as my case does so that i don't have to use a case it would be much better looking. An added bonus would be some water resistance built in.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I kind of like the idea of a plastic iPhone again. Yes the black metal and glass is nice, but I have to put a plastic rubbery case on it to protect it... so it looks like a plastic iPhone now. At least this way, the phone is almost the same size as the original (though a bit thicker it looks like) which is nice. Depending on what features it does or doesn't have, I might consider it. But not the color shown.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Hmm, my Nexus 4 cost $350 and doesn't have that cheap look. The HTC One mini might also end up going below $400, also has a nice design.

I guess it is a nice option for people who want iOS. Is this supposed to be priced below the cost of the iPhone 4, 4S right now? And color is nice of course.

I wonder how this will hold against the Moto X. Although guess most people here don't care too much about Android options. Some day I will try an iOS phone, maybe with iOS 7.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
not for me

It does look like a cheaper iPhone and not this gal's thing. I'm not into bling, but I'm used to the existing design.

I hope it is durable and lasts a long time for those who buy it.

YourHerojb

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Just thought I am getting the usual out of the way.

"SJ would have / wouldn't have"
"Never going to happen / will happen"
"Will never sell / I will queue three days in a line"
"It will / won't be called iPhone <insert xyz here>"
"I move to Android / Windows"
"Looks awesome / sh****"
"Share Price Up"
"Share Price Down"
"Safari is snappier"

So now that's out of the way ... Moving on :)

No offense to you, honest, but these posts are starting to be more bothering then seeing the above quotes.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
The lozenge-shaped volume buttons could eventually appear on the "high end" iPhone. Why? To allow for making the enclosure even thinner, maybe in next year's presumably all-new (iPhone 6?) design.

Yes, it would be possible to make smaller circular volume buttons. But they would be uncomfortable to use. The small surface area would require more activation force.

Of course, there's another limiting factor in slimming down the iPhone enclosure: the headphone jack. Right now it appears to be roughly the same diameter as the volume buttons. So Apple could keep the current 3.5mm headphone jack and slim the iPhone down to the bare minimum that would fit it. (Not much room to spare as it is now.) Or they could go with a 2.5mm headphone jack, which seems to be the smallest standard stereo jack.

JarJarThomas

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
i would like a nano material iphone.
Colored Aluminium but similar to 5.
So i would take the red one

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Multi coloured products always feel cheaper. They should have stuck with black and white.

How does colour (using sight) effect how it feels (using touch)? That makes no sense.

The multi coloured iPod touches are amazing, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
not if you're appealing to teens and tweens. they like those colors.

Many teenage girls could go for any cute-looking iPhone case with bright colors and bunny ears even if the case itself is bigger than an iPhone in volume and awkwardly shaped. In general, they seem like the easiest group to please and fund massive industries.

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Gonna be huge in Japan.

Also looks like its going to stand up to daily life much better than the anodized aluminum casing.

But what are they going to do to make it at a lower price point? Is a different rear shell going to drop $100 off of the price? Doubtful. Is the hardware inside going to be much different? I doubt that too. Cripple the phone through software just to differentiate from the premium version??

simple, they're gonna do what they already do on the regular iPhone: less memory.
It's time for the regular iPhone to bump its memory options to 32Gb, 64Gb, 128Gb.
If plastic iPhone is 16Gb+plastic back, there you can have justification to reduce the price by $150, i.e. $499 unlocked, or $20/month on a 24 month payment plan from ATT/Verizon/TMO, with no down payment.

Other potential areas for differentiation:
- processor speed
- camera (single LED vs dual LED - resolution..)

I don't think there will be much more differentiation other than case material and memory, anything else would make the phone too much like last year's phone, which is what they try to get away from.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
The design continues to show a screw hole layout consistent with photos-of-bare-iphone-5s-logic-board-surface-with-space-for-larger-main-chip/"]logic boards[/url], suggesting that both the iPhone 5S and the lower-cost iPhone may share very similar logic board designs, at least at a broad level.

The other logical possibility is that all leaked parts thus far have been for the low cost phone and we haven't seen anything from the 5S yet.

Unlikely I know, but still a possibility.

One benefit of this low cost phone is that it can provide a smokescreen for the flagship phone.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
I feel like if they want to go the multi-coloured route, they should go with more Lumia-esque bold colours instead of these washed out bodily fluid colours that have allegedly been leaked.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Looks cheap.
That's the point.

You can make something that's cheap (i.e. inexpensive) without it looking cheap. This looks like a part you'd find on a cheap kids toy.

Apple hasn't made anything look this cheap since the clamshell iBooks. Apple spent the past 10 years making and designing products that are not only eye-pleasingly beautiful but also a pleasure to use. Why would they want to head down the road of fugly designs again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.