Closing, but not Turning Off

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Xtreambar, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Xtreambar macrumors regular

Is there any way to physically close a MacBook without turning the computer off? I would like to leave it running some downloads overnight, but I don't want the screen exposed. Ideas?

2. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

Your computer shouldn't shut off when you close it; rather, it should go to sleep. I'm aware of no method to keep your computer awake, and performing downloads, while it is closed. I don't think that would be desireable either since the computer cools through the keyboard, in addition to other areas. Closing the display while continuing to rely on your computer to perform functions would introduce the hazard of overheating, potentially.

Why can't you just download and still leave the display open?

3. ricksbrain macrumors regular

Only option I know of:

If you have an external display, connect it. Close the macbook to let it sleep, then plug a USB mouse or usb something-or-other into the macbook without opening the lid. It'll then run with lid closed.

4. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Why do you not want the screen exposed? If the light or something is the issue, just set the display (and just the display) to sleep.

5. Xtreambar thread starter macrumors regular

Basically, my girlfriend has a cat and I don't want to have to worry about the cat scratching the screen by walking on my MacBook when I am away.

6. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

This isn't right, Macbooks support closed-lid operation. As I recall, you'll need to connect an external display, as well as a keyboard and mouse. (This is how the old PBs worked). Someone with a new Macbook can confirm whether or not any of these items can be omitted.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

solution....

If you have an external mouse or keyboard, attach it, close the screen and press/click and it should wake up.

Hopefully your downloading program auto resumes...

In abscence of that, I've started to turn the backlight off and ALMOST close it all the way. That way animals are not attracted to the light, and, if they happen upon the laptop, the most they can do it close it (unless you have a extremely talented pet).

Good luck.

8. reh macrumors 6502a

Close the screen until there's only a gap of an inch or two. That keeps most cats off, but still keeps the computer on and able to properly vent.

9. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Hi.. I think there is also an Apple-sponsered program that will let you do this. I think it is called Sleepless?

10. Shasta macrumors member

ricksbrain is right on. The only way to keep it from sleeping when closed is hooking it up to an external display, mouse, and keyboard.

As a Cat owner myself your cat will always find away to F*ck with your stuff. If you let him/her believe that there isn't a problem and walking on your computer isn't a big deal the cat wont. Cats are mischievous, furry devils and they will do what they want, when they want... but we still love them anyways.

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep...

Yep, Macbooks can function just like the Macbook Pros and Powerbooks did in regards to closed-lid operation, unlike iBooks, which vented heat from the keyboard (or something like that).

You should actually only need to connect any one of those devices, but it must be USB (bluetooth on its own won't work).