closing programs and folders

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by debo, Jan 15, 2004.

1. debo macrumors regular

Ok so if pressing the red button on a folder or program does not exit the program. How do you do it?

2. RiseAgainst macrumors regular

Click on the programs name in the Finder bar on the top>Quit

-or-

While the program's window is in front>
    Command(The Apple Key)-Q

3. debo thread starter macrumors regular

re:

ok a couple of more quick newbie questions. How do I maximize a window? In safari is there anyway to pulldown the address bar and look at the sites i've visited recently? Also is there a button to click on to go to my home page? Or would I have to add a link to it on the bookmark bar?

4. RiseAgainst macrumors regular

Ok.

Maximizing a window in OSX and Windows are a little different. Windows will just take the page and fit the screen. In OSX, when you hit the Green "+" in window, it will make the window fit the page. So if you maximize the window in Safari, it will only open the windows to view the whole page and not take up all of your monitor. This lets you view the enitre webpage and still have monitor space for other apps.

The pulldown thing im not sure of. However you can click on "History" in the Finder bar at the top and the sites should be there.

To go to your home page. Go to View>and check "Home". Now a Home button will appear on the Safarit window with the other buttons.

5. debo thread starter macrumors regular

ok, how would I highlight a group of files not using the mouse. Like holding the shift or control key in windows? Also, how can I find the shortcuts for things, like sending an email in the mail program?

6. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Command-a will select all files within a directory.

7. RiseAgainst macrumors regular

Highlighting objects works the almost the same as in windows.

Click on your first object, then shift click the last to highlight all the files inbetween. Use command click to add or subtract from the selection.

The shortcuts are diplayed right next to the command in the Finder bar at the top, just the same as in windows.

8. debo thread starter macrumors regular

but what about just the ones I want to select. Like shift or control in windows? Here's another one, how can I "refresh" my library in itunes?

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

iTunes libraries are automatically refreshed, afaik.

i think you should head to a library and look through david pogue's OS X missing manual. you know what you were doing in Windows, so reading that book should be a breeze for you. and you'll learn a lot.

by the way, related to the first point you raised, unlike windows, there's no real harm in keeping apps open. (sure, close the documents or windows within the apps to save screen space or reduce clutter... i'm talking about not quitting the actual app.) it won't consume much of CPU, if at all, and there won't be any menus taking up space on your monitor. plus your program will "launch" instantly the next time you want to use it...

10. debo thread starter macrumors regular

i thought that it would update automatically too, but i deleted a bunch of the songs but they still show up in itunes.

11. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    next time delete the songs from within itunes (as long as it is set to manage you library) and it will ask if you want to put those files in the trash.

also- you might try the consolidate library item in the Advanced menu. could do what you need...

12. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

If you deleted the songs from within a playlist, they would still stay in the library. Delete them from the Library and they'll disappear from iTunes, and you'll get a dialogue box appearing to ask you if you want to delete the files from your Music folder too.

If you want to delet the songs from a playlist and delete them from the library, press alt-delete.

The Void

13. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It works the same with shift, however, use the Command Key (the Apple Key) instead of control.

Another way to Quit programs is to control+click on the icon in the dock and click quit.

TEG

14. debo thread starter macrumors regular

the reason I didn't want to just delete them all from the library was that they were scattered all around and there was a lot of them. But I finally took the time to just click on each one. Is there any control alt delete function that will bring up a list of all of the processes running?

15. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

Apple-Alt-Escape

Or Activity Monitor in Applications>Utilities

The Void

16. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

Re: re:

If you click and hold down (about 2 seconds) on the back or forward navigation arrows, a drop down list will appear. You get different results depending on what direction you want to go and visit.