Clotted Cream

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OutThere, May 4, 2006.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

So under-appreciated. Totally unheard of in the states. Totally deadly. Totally AMAZING.

You need some.

Attached Files:

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Oh, I loves me some clotted cream - I prolly ate five pounds of it when I was living in England.

Whole Foods carries the good stuff here in Annapolis - at a deadly premium.

So right you are - sinfully good.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

They gotta do something about the name, though.

"I think I am going to do something for my cardiovascular fitness today. But first, I'll have me some clotted cream for breakfast." See how that so doesn't work?

Take a cue from the Kiwis, who renamed the Chinese Gooseberry "Kiwifruit", and most famously created the marketing-friendly name Orange Roughy for the fish formerly known as... wait for it... the "slimehead".*

* Orange Roughy is an example of a species fished to near extinction in less than a decade. When technology was developed to find and fish them from the deep ocean, they hit the markets, and the populations were devastated. The industry had no idea of the biology of the deep sea fish, and fished them far beyond the sustainable limit. You think we would have learned with the Atlantic Cod...

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Love the stuff. Have heard you can approximate it by passing heavy cream through a coffee filter (I'd use a gold one rather than paper) several times. Just keep it in the fridge. I've been meaning to try this for a while now, so if anyone does, let me know how it turns out.

6. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

If we're talking clotted cream, it has to be Roddas Cornish clotted cream - far and away the best (but then I am biased :) )

Attached Files:

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Hmmm .... clotted cream. That and proper bacon are two things I miss from home (all bacon here in the states is the streaky kind. Nice enough but I just want real bacon sometimes.)

Last time I was sent to the UK for work (for a couple of weeks) with a USian colleague, one of our brit coworkers brought in clotted cream, scones and jam. The USian wouldn't touch it because of the name.

8. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    That's close to Potted God™ in my books ....

* slavvers over keyboard ... clogs the spacebar *

9. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

So what's it taste like?

It looks delicious on that biscuit.

[stomach rumbles]

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

We got to sample this when we visited some relatives in London a few years back. Seriously good stuff. We still talk about it. ;)

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Really sweet, rich cream cheese - basically it's spreadable sweet cream.

Jesus in a jar.

12. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I'm also curious to know what it tastes like.... sweet? sour? bland? salty?

I feel my arteries just looking at the stuff and listening to its name. And plinden's mention of it and bacon in the same sentence almost made me keel over with a near heart attack. :D

13. taytho macrumors 6502

you know what else i love from across the pond, which i am also out of, SALAD CREAM. MMMMMM.... nothing better on a sandwich. My girlfriend is studying south of london and will be back in 26 days and 4 hours.... not that i am counting. I am definately having her bring back both of these creams.

hey! this is my 100th post! woot woot.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Must.... refrain.... from... inappropriate comment.... Argggggg!!!

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It sounds like it's just mildly sweet, and perhaps buttery? But I'm curious, too...I've never had it before. But one of my father's sisters used to make something that sounds a lot like this at home back in India, and that's how it tasted.

Definition:

Source: http://www.justf**ckinggoogleit.com (just kidding! :eek: )

16. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I could feel my arteries clogging just looking at the picture. But all kinds of cream are delicious, and I suspect that clotted cream is no different. Sadly, my next European jaunt will not take me to England, but my mom seems to be obsessed with taking a walking tour around the UK, so hopefully I'll get a chance to have some then. Last time I was in London I discovered not only Bangers and Mash but that breakfast could be just as heart-attack inducing as a steak dinner.

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You need to brush up your British food types. Clotted cream doesn't go on biscuits (which are your cookies). That's a scone (although not a particularly well-risen one!)

Taytho, you'll get your salad cream but not your clotted cream. You're not allowed to bring dairy products into the US.

18. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

there's plenty of stores that carry clotted cream here in New York (State and City). the same that's in the OP's picture too. i've noticed a lot of stores starting to carry a lot more of the English favourites over the last couple of years. Branston pickle was one of the first actually.

it's amazing what is not allowed into the US from the UK. I used to work at Myers in NYC, and the stuff we got in there, that we later found (after an FBI "bust") to be "illegally imported" was surprising. Fray Bentos pies, sealed in their tins etc. Heinz Oxtail soup. Gripe water. and more...

oh, and if you like Salad Cream, taytho, you should try my favourite sandwich (before i became a vegetarian that is). Corned Beef (the tinned variety, not the hunk of meat), salad cream, and pickled beets. sounds gross, tastes fantastic.

19. iGary Guest

iGary

They had blueberry scones and clotted cream on the flight back from Heathrow (Virgin Atlantic - I love those guys).

20. iGary Guest

iGary

Well if your cows weren't fracking crazy....:p :D

21. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Luckily for me I was using it in Canadian terms. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit

"In Canada, both sweet and savoury are referred to as "biscuits," "baking powder biscuits" or "tea biscuits"."

22. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Is clotted cream pasteurized? If is unpasteurized its a no go but if it is pasteurized you can bring it in.

23. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Those of us with Acid Reflux can only relish, from afar.

24. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No no, relish is an entirely different condiment.

25. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I assume it's just like double cream? If it is the best one you can get here is from King Island Dairy (they also make a white-chocolate variety). Everything they make is the absolute best - I could eat tons of their ash-brie cheese. *drools*