Clown Shoes: The Incompetence of the Romney Campaign

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Moderator emeritus

There are many reasons why Mitt Romney lost, but remember how we were told that he was an organisational genius? And that electing him would put a data-driven business guy in charge of the country?

Various stories emanating from the wreckage of the Romney campaign tell a different story:

Databases and GOTV

Polling

Money

This is what happens when klutzes are put in charge. America, you just dodged a hail of bullets.

2. macrumors 68000

mcrain

I feel like it was...
    [​IMG]

3. macrumors 603

thekev

As much as I dislike the GOP, there are things that must be really terrible about being their candidate. It starts with an argument over who is the most conservative followed by a partial rebranding to ensure the candidate is palatable to swing state voters. At times I wish voting was compulsory so that part of the issue wasn't pandering to to extremists in hope of a strong turnout.

4. macrumors 6502a

It's very hard to be a candidate of a party that is silently half moderate, while the other half is kicking and screaming about how stop signs infringe on their freedom. I guess Romney did the best he could by not committing to either. :p

5. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Bull ****! As the candidate for president, he should have taken a leadership role, not a pweese vote for me role.

6. macrumors 6502

MadeTheSwitch

Wow. That comment section on that site was eye opening. There were a few good comments, but most of them want to blame someone else for their own failings. "It was hackers"!! Most of them don't want to even see the Romney campaign as incompetent in any way shape or form. Just watching them these many months they have seemed disorganized. So these internal horror stories are not surprising. I guess the stupid claims of illegal voting and hacking aren't surprising either, but if they want to win elections in the future they will have to do a bit of soul searching, not blame the other guy for their loss.

7. macrumors 68000

mcrain

I dunno, I kind of blame the other guy for Obama's win. Objectively speaking, the GOP could have put almost any of their fools forward and won. Palin, Cain, Bachman, Perry, etc... it shouldnt' have mattered.

Thankfully, they chose the one candidate with absolutely no "fire" and no "convictions."

(edit) In case anyone connected to the "right" is here, yes, I'm suggesting that you guys should have gone farther to the right, and you should certainly go way, way to the right next time too. :D

8. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Can't find the article I read but it basically said financial expert Romney, who raised more money than Obama, wasn't able to get as many ads on the air as the Obama campaign managed their money a lot better. It also spoke to Romney paying his campaign people rates that were much higher than ever before thus leaving less money for ads and other campaign initiatives. Hardly the fiscal genius he tried to have us believe he was.

9. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I heard something about that too, but the impression I got about the ad buys was that the Obama campaign was able to pre-buy and lock in lower rates before Romney had a lock on the nomination, which is a great advantage the incumbent has, especially in a long protracted primary.

E.g. http://adage.com/article/campaign-trail/romney-outspent-obama-advertise/238241/

Overall, I think Jon Stewart put it well. Paraphrasing. "Months and mega bucks later nothing has really changed."

Seems like a very poor "investment" particularly for the GOP and their associates.

B

10. macrumors 68000

The article I read said that the GOTV Project ORCA was an internal campaign secret. They didn't want it to leak out that they had it so they never beta tested the site. Election day was the first time it was brought live.

As someone who works in IT, I can tell you that is hysterically incompetent!!!!

----------

Romney gave out $200,000 bonuses to his top campaign staff. He ran his campaign like they do on wall street. Incompetently.

11. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wow. Talk about flawed decision making. Glad he's nowhere near the White House.

12. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Too bad Romney didn't employ more community organizers. :D

13. macrumors 603

14. macrumors 6502

MadeTheSwitch

There's no way that those people could have won against Obama. None. The first one couldn't finish her term as Governor and didn't even step up to the plate this time, the others couldn't make it out of the starting gate and Bachman barely won her own reelection even with redistricting. A national stage would never have gone for her. Or any of the other ones. The best hope would have been Huntsman but he was driven out early on.

The story I saw on TV said Romney's campaign had bought ads on a more local level at higher rates rather then buy nationally at a cheaper one. And yeah, that doesn't make him look like such a great financial guy in hindsight does it?

15. Anuba, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012

macrumors 68040

Anuba

It's the only possible outcome when you have a two party system in a country of 311 million. Typically you'll find 5-10 parties in countries no larger than a single U.S. state. The number and diversity of demographics a US presidential candidate has to appeal to is staggering. The logical solution would be to keep the message very generic, broad and inclusive, but the GOP painted themselves into a corner by allowing the evangelical kooks to hijack the party, so now, if you want free market capitalism you also have to swallow the whole birthed/anti-gay/****-the-environment/creationism-in-schools-plz thing.
    Only a shape-shifting alien can represent such a party, so Romney was actually the perfect candidate.

They could take the high road and refuse to kiss up to the extremists, and just go with a conservative message with broad appeal, but they're sooo afraid of failing to "energize the base". Well, if this so-called base is so dumb that they'd rather let the other side win than support a close-but-no-cigar candidate from their team, they deserve to live in gay Marxist Estados Unidos de America, world capital of abortions and 80% sales tax.

As Jon Stewart pointed out the other day, regarding the 8% failure of government investments in alternative energy (which Romney used to make a point about governments sucking at business), 22% of the companies that Romney invested in via Bain have gone bankrupt. And don't get me started on all the morons who poured astronomical amounts into Rove's SuperPAC. All they've done is demonstrate that some businessmen suck at investments...

16. macrumors 603

thekev

You've had the same two parties for a very long time with no others able to gain any kind of leverage at a national level. We've had third party candidates with some moderate amount of support. The electoral college system means that they'll never see votes at the national level. They might show up in the popular vote, yet it leaves the current parties in too comfortable of a position. I get what you're saying in that fixing this wouldn't immediately change everything. Apart from that, I don't see the GOP as a party of free market capitalism. They still support a large amount of corporate welfare. They simply favor different industries. They still show favoritism to certain defense contractors. I'd like to see how things settle at the moment.