Clustering question...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by afonso, Sep 4, 2003.

1. afonso macrumors member

OK, so i know this wouldn't b a proper cluster, but...

im waiting for my dual g5 to arrive... which hopefully will be before the end of the year ;) and i'm currently using a dual gig g4...

now the thing is im a 3d animator, so i need all the power i can get to use maya 5 and shake 3 at home...

i was thinking if it would be possible to connect the dual g4 to the dual g5 when this arrives, so i'd have 4 processors available to render stuff out...

would this b possible? how would i do this? is it just a matter of getting an ethernet cable and connecting both machines, do i need osx server for it, etc etc?

thanks, i appreciate all feedback and comments :)

fonz

2. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Re: Clustering question...

I don't know much about this, but I think you need a fiber channel on both computers, similar to what you can have installed in a new G5 through Apple. There are other options, but I don't think Ethernet is one of them.

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: Re: Clustering question...

I use Cinema 4d and I can use Net Render to use any mac to chip in on the rendering. All I have to do is enter my powermac's ip on the ibook and it gets the numbers to crunch from the powermac. I don't know about Maya though.

4. afonso thread starter macrumors member

so u just have them connected through standard network/ethernet?

i know shake with qrender should make it easy to find other procs, but maya not sure... though mental ray might have this as well built-in... hmmmm

/me puts thinking cap on

5. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I just have a crossover between my powermac and ibook.