Cluttered Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eyepatches, Oct 18, 2006.

1. eyepatches macrumors newbie

hey!
    i have cluttered folders on my desktop. is there any way of organizing them, or at least lining them up (just like how the desktop automatically line folders up everytime one creates a new folder)? anyhow, a response will be greatly appreciated ... and by the way, i own a G5 running on OS X 10.3.9.

thanks!

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

View > View Options > Snap to Grid. But really you shouldn't be keeping much on the desktop. Put your folders in Documents or Applications. Put those two folders on the Dock. Click and hold on a folder icon in the Dock to get the full list of contents (including subfolders).

Best wishes.

3. eyepatches thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much, emptyCup!! i'll do what you recommended as soon as i get things organized ;) . anyhow, take care much!!

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

or u can do what i do and have a folder on the desktop labeled "crap" :D

Attached Files:

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^That always helps:)

Puckhead has the right idea there...make a folder and put your "crap" in there.

Bless

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You can create a link to your documents folder in your dock, just like you can applications. Clicking on it will open the documents folder in a new Finder window. Clicking and holding down will display a contextual menu with everything in your documents folder.

This way, it's much more convenient to just put everything in there (where it should be anyway)... and keeps your desktop clean...

documents.jpg

7. eyepatches thread starter macrumors newbie

alright thanks! now how should i make a link of the documents to the dock. i tried dragging it and (poof!) it disappeared! :D the "crap folder" umm .. sketchy on that one! ;)

well take care all!

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If you look at my screen shot, you'll notice the Documents folder in my dock is to the right of the divider line that separates the trash from the applications. You have to drag folders (or files) there.

9. shieldyoureyes macrumors 6502

shieldyoureyes

Haha. That is exactly what I do. Occasionally I have the "Crap" folder and the "New Crap" or "Important Crap" folder on there to.

10. eyepatches thread starter macrumors newbie

11. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

How does one make a link from the Dock to something in the Finder? :eek:

12. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Simply drag the item/folder onto the right side of your Dock, where your Trash is located. :)

13. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I don't have that line between icons and trash in my Dock. I tried dragging over Documents from the Finder just now, and although I tried to place it all the way down into the dock, it disappeared in a puff of smoke. And now I can't find where Documents lives, to put it back in the Finder (I looked in the libraries of both my user account and my HD, to no avail).

Help! :eek: :eek:

Edit: I found Documents, in my home folder. But I still don't get how to make the link from the Dock...

Edit 2.0: God, I am stupid, sorry. I realise now I can't drag Documents from the sidebar, I have to drag it from the Home folder. Done. Sorry!!!

14. p0intblank macrumors 68030

You should have the separation point. Are you sure you're dragging it into the correct spot? The Trash should shift to another spot in your Dock when you hover an item over it.

The only thing I can think of is, have you made any modifications to the GUI with anything like ShapeShifter?

Edit: Ahh, okay! :p I didn't think of dragging from the sidebar.

15. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I have the separation point, that is, there's a space. I just don't have the line I thought I saw in your screen shot. But all is well now, and I have links to my docs and apps now. Thanks! :)

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It sounds like your dragging the link to the Documents folder from the favorites pane of a finder window (the left side, under "Macintosh HD" and "Desktop"), instead of the actual Documents folder.

The Documents folder itself is stored in your home folder. Navigate there (your username) and drag the actual Documents folder into your dock. You can also place it into the favorites pane of the finder windows in the same way.

17. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Yes, that's what I did originally. Got it in the end, though. :)