Cmd + Tab

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adamb100, Mar 5, 2006.

1. adamb100 macrumors regular

If you press cmd(or whatever the alt key is) + tab you get a popup to choose between open apps.

Anyone knew of this?

2. HungrySeacow macrumors regular

I think everyone did but you :p. LOL, there are a lot of key commands in OS X that are not apparent. For example, type half of a word in iChat and then press esc. It's great, yet not apparent.

3. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

You can also Command+` to scroll the other direction; Hold Cmd hit Tab to desired program then Q to Quit Apps, H to Hide Apps.

Anything else?

4. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Actually doesn't that command set scroll through all currently open windows of the frontmost application?

5. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

If you think command-tab is good, wait until you try the F-9 key, or the F-11 key, or the jaw-dropping F-12 key in 10.4 :)

6. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

You are right. Should be Cmd+Tab, release Tab then hit ` to scroll the other way.

7. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Oh thats cool, had no idea about that.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

This has been around since Mac OS 8, and prior to that to anyone who what M$ Office 4.0+ installed.

TEG

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What about F10 - shows all open windows in a single application.

If you press either F9 or F10 with a number of multiple windows in multiple apps open and then press Tab, you can cycle through the windows.

10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yes, everyone (except 2 people I guess ;) ) knows about CMD + Tab. One combo I didn't know until today, when I found out by accident, was Option + [one of the three sound control keys]. That brings up the sound control panel. That's actually useful to me, since I have a Revolution 5.1 sound card, which isn't compatible with everything, so I have to switch back and forth between 5.1 sound and built-in sound sometimes.

--Eric

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

There should be a MacRumors guide to all the commands for Mac OS X - it would be huge! :eek:

12. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

That is useful... I've been using Butler to do this from the keyboard, but your way is even better. I wonder if there is a similar shortcut to open the energy saver preferences.

oh, just found... option + [one of the display brightness buttons] brings up, you guessed it, display preferences

13. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Command+Shift+Tab scrolls the other way too. (just like Shift+Tab jumps the opposite way thru form boxes - like in iTunes Info)

14. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Usually I never seem to have many open windows from from a single application hanging around (maybe I need to spend more money on really complicated apps :)), which is why I didn't mention F-10. Figured I go with the ones that usually have the most fireworks.

15. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

if you really want to show off (for PC buddies), hold SHIFT when you press F9, F10, F11, F12, or when you click the minimize (yellow minus) window button. and be sure to say "lets see that again".

16. mark88 macrumors 6502a

I like to map CMD-TAB to one of the extra buttons on my mouse. I'll hit the button once, then move the mouse to select the app. Because the icons are so big it's really really fast to switch apps.

Really great if you don't wanna touch the keyboard.

17. bense27 macrumors regular

that is really cool. I was wondering mac had such a thing because I used to use that alot on my dell.

18. Alone2Gether macrumors regular

I've been using this shortcut for a while now but today it started to act up. Whenever I try to select a different program with the shortcut, it would just scroll through the programs in reverse order. It used to be pressing Cmd+Tab then Tab however many times to get to the desired program. Any ideas?

19. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

I show off by pressing shift while minimizing something into the dock using genie or scale effect. www.macosxhints.com a brilliant website if your bored.

20. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Only too well :mad:

You can disable the $^$#!!# feature with PullTab from Unsanity.com. Or, even better, by going Dockless.

Command-Tab is owned by FileMaker to move from record to record, or layout to layout, and no freaking Windows-refugee newcomer system-wide keystroke is gonna take it away!

21. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Use cmd+tab to cycle through programs, and then when on the one you want to quit, hit q.

That's how I quit programs 3/4 of the time.

22. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

There is. :p