cnet article trashes apple

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jelloshotsrule, Jan 9, 2003.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

eh whatever, its one idiots opinion, we all know why we use macs, because they have the best Hardware and software, and there ain't a thing one idiots opinion can do about it.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

This guy didn't do his homework about prices/sales AND he doesn't seem to realize that some of the significance of these producst is relative.... i.e. FOR MAC USERS and APPLE they are big news for REAL REASONS. DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

ok, now I cooled off, I was b*ing about him at the office today :p

3. Macette macrumors 6502

he doesn't really trash apple... so much as acknowledge (in a bitchy way) that most people aren't intelligent enough to appreciate all the cool stuff apple does.

i'm fine with that. it's nice to feel superior and in-the-know.

was at a party last night with a windows evangelist, who tried to trash me for using a mac.

he said: "come on, come on, what's the CPU speed on your machine?".

i said: "350mhz. but i reckon it's more than compensated for by the fact that i haven't been forced to reinstall my system software in the entire 4 years i've been using it".

he kind of shut up. i knew it was a sore point, because I'd heard him telling someone just minutes before how pissed off he'd been having to reinstall XP Professional on his really new, really fast pentium something in the middle of preparing an important presentation.

ha!

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i couldn't even read the rest of the article after:

Evidently the "perspectives" category means that authors can overlook things, fail to do any research, or flat-out lie.

this moron doesn't even deserve the email i almost sent him. he wouldn't get it, and he'd just smugly thing "look at all the mac users i'm pissing off"...

i'm just surprised that cnet would post this trash, even in "perspectives".

:mad:
    pnw

5. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Already posted this in the morning on Macrumors.

Link.

6. Raiden macrumors regular

This guy is a complete moron.

His email is at the bottom of that page, I for one am emailing him, showing him point by point his article is dumbfounding and of poor literary quality.

Im exaggerating a bit, but the article makes us look like complete idiots!!

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

haha i know what you mean. I have to install xp a couple of times on my p4 machine. god only knows how much i had to install it on my amd machine. my amd machine gave me more problems than it was worth, thats why i went with a p4 and have been much happier. my pc works great, when it is working. but my mac, if something goes wrong, just reinstall the system, and none of my stuff gets touched. if that doesn work, firewire target disk mode, back up all my stuff and wipe out the hard drive. you should see the pc guys back in service, they may hate macs but they are jealous on how eas y it is to fix things. it is also a great feeling when i just pull down the side to work on a g4 and they have their phillips out unscrewing everything. but i will tell you one thing they dont envy, when i gotta take apart that imac, man what a b****.

iJon

8. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

I'm an absolute believer in Apple tech and software. But am not a schill and I think Apple has done some dumb things and now we are paying for it. Every Mac owner I know bemoans the fact that their machines are achingly slow compared to the top-end PC's out there. Hopefully Steve will truly innovate his way out of this rut we're in. Yes, we are in a rut hardware-wise.

9. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

I agree, and have been saying this forever (and have gotten flamed by foaming Mac fanatics, too). But this guy mocks ridiculous things, like software that is designed to offer MS something it needs: competition (Keynote); and the introduction of the largest laptop monitor to-date. This guy is a PC shill. I'm surprised by CNet, too. Now what would we here from him if Dell introduced a new laptop with a 17" monitor? Lemee take a stab here: "Dell does it again!"

10. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I agree with the fact that Apple has done some stupid things in the past, sometimes I wonder where we would have been today if there wasn't the major slump in the mid 90's. However, I think this guy's article really is pretty bad, especially when he says "...whatever that is" which clearly shows how he's just another person not willing to believe that there might be something out there that's better to use. I also think that Apple will increase it's processer speed, especially since they are apparently not going to get their chips from Motorola in the future. There's always going to be people that write articles like these, maybe they're just ignorant or they just like "pissing off mac-users" but whatever it is, at least we know we can always come back with an argument :)

11. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

did you read the guy's critizism of keynote? he essentially said that no one needs a presentation program that nice. kind of like that quote gates made years ago about how computers will never need more than 500k of memory, or something like that. i also chuckled when he said that microsoft software promotes "standards" in the industry. i think that it is actually grammatically incorrect to include "microsoft" and "standards" in the same sentence. it took a lot of work, but i convinced my roommate to download openoffice instead of shelling out loads of cash for msoffice, which he wanted because it was so "standard" and he had never been able to read all word documents with works. a format that you can't read acceptably without shelling out over $500 is not standard, period. and the fact that this guy uses the very tired tactic of bringing up the price disparity between a "similarly" configured machine is about as convincing as the "MAC aint gotz no warez 0 gamez" argument.

p.s. i like the sig jelloshots

12. awulf macrumors 6502

I think the reason why CNet allowed this article because it gives them more traffic. All of us clicked on the article and read it, and more mac users will do this giving that page a high number of clicks and promotion to the writer. The best thing to do is to stop looking at these stupid articles and they will go away since mac users are basically the only ones who look at it (unless a mac basher is looking for some reasons).

So lets stop reading these damn articles, don't e-mail the author, just ignore the problem and it will all go away.

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

despite how angry you get, emailing him only justifies it in his own mind. the mind of a zealot is hard-set, your email is not going to make him see the light of day. Just make you sound as preachy as he is.

pnw

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

you guys what till cnet does a review of the laptops. what was cnets top budget laptop choice, the ibook. what was their favorite os, mac osx (which eventually came into a tie with microsoft, but we all know what they like) the powerbook has a editors choice saying this is a sweet laptop if you got the cash for it. what about the airport, rated easiest way to get on wireless. now they have firewire 2, 17 inch screen, lit up keyboard, ata 100, ddr, airport extreme with 802.11g with a 100 dollar less price tag. you guys just wait till the reviews come out and then look at the user comments. everything will speak for itself. go to jaguar reviews and look at the positive and negative percentages, then go look an windows percentages. lets just wait.

iJon