CNET Editor Missing

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rdf8585, Nov 30, 2006.

1. rdf8585 macrumors regular

This surprised me -

CNET senior editor James Kim and his family are missing.

The 35-year-old Kim, his wife Kati, and daughters Penelope (4 years) and Sabine (7 months) left their home in San Francisco last week on a road trip to the Pacific Northwest. They were last seen on Saturday, November 25, in Portland, Ore., according to the San Francisco Police Department, which has opened a missing persons' investigation. They were driving a 2005 silver Saab station wagon with California personalized plates of "DOESF."

Those with information about the Kim family's whereabouts are asked to contact the SFPD immediately--at 415-558-5508 during normal business hours and at 415-553-1071 after-hours. The Portland Police Department can be reached at 503-823-4000.

http://news.com.com/2061-10801_3-6139875.html?tag=nefd.top

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I read this a few hours ago. I remember watching him on TechTV (before the G4 buyout)

I hope he gets home soon and safely. Looks like he was driving through some nasty weather. Hopefully the family is just at a hotel waiting it out...

3. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

James Kim, CNet Editor, Missing?

You may know him from his reviews of MP3 products including the iPod. According to the San Francisco police department, James Kim and his family was last seen on November 25th, 2006, filed missing November 30th, 2006.

http://www.sfgov.org/site/police_index.asp?id=37978

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9666094-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

If you have any information on his whereabouts, contact SFPD at the number above or Portland police at 503-823-4000.

4. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

:(

Is this any relation to our own Arnold Kim (aka Arn)?

5. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I don't think he's related to Arn :(

6. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

That's crazy -- a whole family missing like that.
    I hope the mystery is solved soon.

7. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Well reading up on it, looks like weather conditions were a mite crazy the past week in the Pacific Northwest? Looks like a blizzard struck Seattle, I dunno ... perhaps that explains it? I feel isolated here in Ohio.

8. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Just read this on CNet's website. Aw, wow. I really like him. He seems like a nice guy. I hope all turns out okay.

9. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    Yeah he IS a nice guy, my TiVo downloads CNET TV (i guess they call it) every week and he's always reviewing something, one of the better reviewers there.

oh, and i doubt he's related to Arn, Kim is as common a name as Smith.

i'm sure it's all been a big mix up and that he (and the family) will turn up oblivious to the situation :)

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

He shouldn't have given that bad Zune review.

This seems a little weird after seeing something about a missing person who has something to do with MacHeist.

Kim (gold) is a fairly popular name and since most names have to do with profession from long ago, it's not all that likely that people are related.

Hope everything turns out okay for him.

11. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I'm sure that could happen to some people, but the Kim's were (reported to be) in constant contact with work. Everyday, they talk or email coworkers. No family, no friends have heard from them and here's the kicker: they called their hotel to say they would arrive in about 5 hours, and that was the last the family had been heard from. They have been missing since last Saturday.

I hope you are right but this is a very worrisome situation.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You think they might have wanted to get away from work and relatives for a few days and went the other direction perhaps?

13. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

14. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

omg seattle was hell last week. It snowed on tuesday and then wednesday the ground froze. They had to chip away the ice at my school for us to walk on it safely. And then of course in a couple hours all the ice frozed back up. Good thing it is warm now.

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I dunno its starting to get really eerie. Its been a full week, what if the family requires medical attention, food, water....especially the kids. Starting to fear the worst, something terrible has most likely happened.

I just dont get why bad things hapen in December. Ugh!.

16. apb3 macrumors regular

apb3

17. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

18. riciad macrumors 6502

19. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

wow, it's great that they've found the rest of the family...
    I hope they find James and he's safe. *crosses fingers*

20. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

21. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

22. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Just wondering why a story like this makes the front page of a prominent news site? Yes it is a sad thing that is occurring and he may in-fact be dead and it is wonderful that the rest of the family is still alive.

However Fiji just had its 4th coup is 20 years and Somali is getting worse and worse every day.

I do admit this is a sad story but i do believe that there is much worse things going on than one person being missing.

I notice it is on the front page of CNN yet I can't find it on the BBC

23. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

That's because the BBC has more important news to report, like another England sporting collapse. :)

Seriously though, I am English and have lived in the US for the past 8 years and it still surprises me on which stories the US media and public deem 'headline news'.

24. captoats85 macrumors member

Still no sign of James Kim, though they may have found his jeans. Honestly, and I hope I am wrong, but I don't think he's alive at this point. I can see why he would go for help, but that's the worst thing you can do when you're lost with other people. You have to stay together, and if they did, all of them probably would have been found yesterday.