cNet Review for iMac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by joshua_msu, Oct 11, 2004.

1. joshua_msu macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2004
    chicago (formerly detroit)
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i cant believe they complain that 'WiFi' and BT cost extra, they arent for everyone, its not like its a laptop
  3. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    i love their "bads"

most computers sold at default are little short on RAM. most computers sold at default do not include Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.

not sure if there's any computer that can achieve a 10 on their scale.

one button mouse is more of a reflection of philosophy than anything, it would be like complaining that the Apple logo is no longer colorful. if anything, iMac should get a plus for including an optical mouse and PCs should get a negative for bothering with rubber ball mouse.

the only "bad" that's valid is the display inflexibility...
  4. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    The comparisons page is interesting. None of the readers have cared about the alternative models. The iMac scores 86% satisfaction from 785 readers ... next highest here was Dell Dimension 8400 with only 131 people bothering to write anything, scoring just 64% on the happy side.

I also disagree with the evidential popularist with that it is still Form Over Function or more Style than Substance. The 3rd gen model has deceptively more function and substance than the previous two, and many in the equivalent market.
  5. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Well i must agree with cnet....but not against apple computer, against EVERY single computer company..........256 ram isn't enough this should start coming with 512 ram by default since most applications now a days need that to run well.

Screen wise, i don't really know much about imac g5 cuz i haven't played with one up close but if it's just as they say, that it ain't as flexible as the old iMacs well then that's a low point. The old imacs displays were awsome. *Maybe apple made that inflexibleness on purpose. Since everything's inside the screen (ram, hd, chips, wires, cd rom etc. etc.) they didn't want it to more around that much. but again, who knows.

The mouse thing is just apple's philosophy, but i do believe apple should build a two buttom/scroll wheel mouse, ans offert it as an available option. if you buy an imac/powermac/emac, or just the mouse, you could choose between the single button or the two button mouse.
  6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Makes you wonder what it would take to get a 9 or higher on their scale....:D

Comparisons are interesting - but why that comment about looking good while working on your computer? Bleh....

I love the machine and my wife's getting one....and I don't care if any ever sees me using it :D

7. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    WTF? I don't see Cnet complaining about Wi-Fi, BlueTooth and the amount of RAM (sort of) DuLLs have.

I've never put too much weight into Cnet's reviews, they strike me as too anti-Mac.
  8. stillwater macrumors regular

Sep 1, 2004
    Rowley, MA
    I'm starting to grow weary of people complaining about the supposed lack of flexibilty in positioning the screen. The aluminum foot of the new iMac has skids made of slick plastic. It is very easy to swing the whole thing right to left. The only real lack is in height adjustability which doesn't seem that important to me any way.

By opting for a simplified design, Apple was able to invest more where it counts - performance.

Keep in mind, the new iMac is cheaper than the previous generation and has the latest chip in it.

Just my two cents.
  9. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    Come on, do we really need a 2 button mouse on a Mac? I mean thats all they have had forever, so what Cnet. Thats like discrimination against computers or something. Sorry that just makes me angry that thats the main thing they do on all mac reviews.
  10. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    That's because Dell computers have far more significant issues than Wireless services and RAM. Once Dell gets that sorted out, then they will finally get to the level of worrying about such small details.

Think of it this way. If someone does an incredibly photorealistic painting, the viewer can nitpick about things like minor shadow and highlight inconsistencies. However, if they do a painting that unintentionally skews perspective and layout, we first correct those issues before even considering shadow and highlight placement.

Does that make sense to anyone but me? :eek:
  11. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    yeah, it's pretty funny when 10 becomes this mythical number and was chosen only because we live in a base-10 world.

i also find it funny in gymnastics (figure skating also) when the scores practically range from 9.0 to 10.0. if such was the case, i don't see why scores can't go from 0 to 10 to simplify things a bit. maybe 2.5 would look bad compared 9.25 or something..?

i always thought it would be a good idea in a university intro physics lab (where a lot of pre-med/pre-engineering kids in college complain the most because they are the most grade conscious) to scale all the quiz/test/lab book scores from 90 to 100. no kids will complain that they got "92"'s during the semester until the end when they realize "92" was actually a "C." :D
  12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Well, it is interesting that they corroborate the unofficial word that the new iMacs are very close in speed performance to the faster G4s, rather than any quantum leap....

But in fairness to CNET, they have given pretty high reviews to the iPod and some of the PBs/iBooks. I think its always good to offer some constructive criticism. I think Apple would be way cool to eliminate keyboard and mouse wires and go BT standard, for instance. And the iMac can't be such a low margin computer that it'd be totally impossible.
  13. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    yes, but if I were to take that too literally (as I do much of the time) I would think that what Cnet listed as the problems, are the only problems with the computer, and everything else is peachy. So basically, Cnet will never be happy, and will always have something to complain about.:rolleyes: :mad:

yes, it does.
  14. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2003
    What always pisses me off is that you can tell the reviewer is a techie because s/he demeans the importance of design as if apple just designs these things to look pretty and the only person who would want one is someone who is interested in looking pretty. Although looking smooth is definitely a concern, the main concern of apple design is utility... PRACTICALITY (that's a word that even a techie can understand). This computer takes up less room. It is wall mountable. It is easy to set up. I think the idea that a computer, like a car or any other consumer device, is not just about brute power. It is about how it fits into your life. I think that for most people, the desk space that is saved by this computer is probably more important in terms of keeping their mind at ease than the extra megahertz a pc might offer at the same price. Although elegance may result in outward beauty, the spirit of someone who is hoping to look nice is different from the spirit of elegance. It has a different motivation. The brute popularity of the ipod has forced these computer geeks to take a second look and they have come to notice its elegance. Obviously they haven't learned much.

Now after that long lecture, I have to say I don't really love this machine. The only way I see it as being really wonderful is if it is mounted on an adjustable arm. Otherwise it seems a little hard to maneuver. THe screen looks awkward being so thick. Also it obviously, at least in the higher end models, should have had 512+ RAM. iPhoto with like 1000 photos CRAWLS because of the ram issue.
  15. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    If it had BT by default, people would be saying why should they pay extra for something they aren't going to use. Reviewers just need to find something to complain about so they don't sound biased. It tilts fine for those who've actually used one and it you need to adjust it more (like regular displays are that adjustable), you can always buy a mount. The RAM is a bit low on the top machines, but that's what those extras are for with mail-order and internet. Free RAM, etc.

I'm surprised they didn't mention the graphics card.