Cnet "Video iPods on the horizon"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jrv3034, Jan 29, 2004.

1. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i think it's safe to say that Apple is definitely working on a prototype, and perhaps has some designs in mock-up form. seems odd that they posted the job for video iPod developer so late in the game, i would have hoped that they had started work on this a while ago-- tho this may have simply been to add to an existing team.

whether the video iPod ever makes it to the light of day tho... i have a little more doubt in that area...

maybe this guy should stick to reviewing, and stay away from inventing?

3. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    it's just a speculative article.... neither a rumor or "evidence"

4. Pseudonym macrumors regular

Jan 21, 2004
    Old Blighty
    I've always wondered quite how a video iPod would work. Since you are not supposed to rip from a DVD and would need an analogue/digital converter for videos how would you get a film onto the vPod? Perhaps they are thinking of an iFilms store, but the downloads would be immense.
  5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    This is supposed to be surprising? Video would seem to be the next direction for the iPod.

For Apple I can see a profit stream. Offer a ViPod. Then offer i-glasses as an option, then a clip-on projector. One only has to look at all the offerings for portable DVD players to see a demand.
  6. MorganX macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2003
    Re: Cnet "Video iPods on the horizon"

They have no choice. And it's probably not accidental that vapors of the existence of a vPod are seeping out after the strong showing of multiple portable media centers at CES.

High End music jukeboxes will be cannibalized by the end of the year when PMCs and vPods are available.

You can make an argument for spending $250 on a high-end mid capacity player based on style and size. Much harder to make a case for a $400 jukebox when you can get a PMC for vPod for $450 when the video box does everything the jukebox does plus movies, photos, and probably more. It's evolution and it will most likely happen this summer.

Sooner they show, the better, I'm almost set on the Samsung PMC or the small SAFA pictured (the SAFA is a PVP not PMC so I'll probably pass) . Lot's of cool PMCs and PVPs set to launch, check them out HERE WITH OTHER PMCs.
  7. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Well, SJ said "We've got same exciting products for you this year!" And other than GarageBand, I've not been too excited by APple announcements this year. Since PVPs are coming out this year, Apple had better get on it.

I wonder if Apple does release a vPod if people will buy it over another brand simply because they think that the iPod is superior to other mp3 players.