CNN broadcasts anchor's bit of toilet talk

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by emw, Aug 30, 2006.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

Anybody see/hear this? They were talking about it on the Steve Dahl show yesterday and played the clip - pretty funny stuff. :D

Link

Edit: The audio from the Steve Dahl show starts about 23 minutes into their hour 4 podcast from yesterday.

2. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

That sucks. Her brother's wife has got to be a bit pissed.

3. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, but at least she complimented her husband. :D

4. iGary Guest

iGary

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

"A vulgar term"??

Gee, knowing US-style censorship, where words like "hell" and "damn" are considered offensive, the "vulgar term" was probably "bastard."

This should be in the comedy section of the paper with a full transcript - it's funny, not shocking.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

OK first of all where is the sound guy to cut her mic when it was first noticed.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Probably backstage pissing himself laughing. This is so very Naked Gun.

Since when is this actual news? It belongs at the end of the program where the squirrel that can water ski would normally be.

8. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Not sure this showed up on any front pages anywhere or something. Just an interesting side note I heard yesterday on the drive home. ;)

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

well Im sure it wasn't on the cnn.com main page.:p

10. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, I couldn't find it anywhere on CNN. Surprising. :D

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Ha..well i guess her Husband is happy, and her brother's wife is PISSED

12. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

She's now more famous than before. Not too shabby. :)

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

He may be standing in line at the Atlanta unemployment office today. ;)

Rush was talking about it just a few minutes ago on his show and, according to him, Ms. Phillips' mike was "hot" for well over a minute -- this wasn't just a few seconds of candid conversation that were broadcast. It is kinda funny because, you know, it didn't happen to me. But the engineer(s) responsible for this had more than enough time to cut her off.

14. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

That's the thing I was thinking - it was a lengthy conversation that should have been cut off the air long before it was.

Of course, this isn't the first time something like this has happened. ;)

15. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Saw it on the local news last night.

They were nice enough to put the text of the conversation on the screen as well as the audio!

:eek:

I would imagine she won't have much of a relationship with the sister in law anymore.

16. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

And why does MSNBC insist on spelling mic as mike?

17. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Oh to be a fly on their wall this Thanksgiving.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The sound guy should have the mic dead the second she goes off the air. It shouldn't be the responsibility of the on air talent.

19. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

There's a switch on the personality's wireless transmitter that can mute the audio feed, should she require absolute privacy and something she can control. I don't think it should be the responsibility of the sound guy.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

True, but everything is patched through the sound board so that person is the last line of defense.

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Indeed. I guess it must be nice for her husband too, to know what she says behind his back. :D

And yeah, that sound guy should definitely be sending out his resumé this week. :p

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But she was in the toilet. Surely there were some embarrassing noises coming out of that place (or do girls' **** not stink?). Here, let me recap the conversation with all the missing side effects:

...dismissed most men with a vulgar term, but called herself “very lucky in that regard. My husband is handsome and he is genuinely a loving.....*faaaart* you know, no ego........*faaaaart* oh yeah, that was stinker, what did I have for lunch?........anyway, you know what I’m saying? Just a really passionate, *fart* compassionate, *high-pitched short fart* great, great human being. And they exist. They do exist. They’re hard to find. Yup. But they are out there.”

23. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Why? As mentioned earlier, she left her microphone on while she went to the lavatory. Sure, there are/should be safeguards to prevent this kind of thing from happening, and she is probably used to the sound engineer cutting off the feed from her microphone while she was off the set--but should that really be the correct procedure? Does CNN normally leave all of their microphones on all the time, relying on a sole soundboard operator to cut and manage the signals?

Did she think that her noises and conversation were being broadcast from the loo and just not send out over the broadcast? Regardless of the signal going out over the national broadcast, I wouldn't want my microphone on in the bathroom. Even if the only guy I thought could hear it worked for CNN.

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

You are not making it easy for me to sneak a peek at the internet today.....I almost fell out of my chair.

Her husband might be pissed as well...talking about she needs to be protective of him..and all the sensitive crap.

Bless

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

On the positive side, the whole country knows what a good spouse the husband is.

If I were him, I'd bring her flowers tonight. Followed by...well, something special. We'll leave it to his creativity. :D