CNN.com now with free video - but Macs not welcome!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bigandy, Nov 18, 2005.

1. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

CNN.com has made it's video free. But it's a Windows Media 9 service, which, unless I'm very much mistaken, means Windows only, doesn't it?

Pah. Your thoughts please.

My thoughts are unrepeatable. I'll be staying with BBC News...

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

CNN recently (within the past few months) made their video content available to Macs, and I am able to watch it on mine. You do, however, need Windows Media Player for Mac. CNN is complete garbage, however. You're not missing anything. I would stick with the BBC if I were you.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Thats not say anything crazy now, that would be like saying Fox is good at news :eek: Which would be Choas!

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I hate how everyone uses Windows media these days. Quicktime is better and I'd be willing to bet it either HAS or could HAVE the same market penetration. And it can be run on windows, macos, and linux, without any horrible problems.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Short sum up of Lord Blackadder's opinion:

-CNN is not the best news network on earth, but is OK. I do watch on occasion, though I prefer written news sources.

-Free video content is good.

-Windows Media Player blows, and I hate it. Quicktime is better. Actually nearly everything is better.

-Faux News Sucks.

6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I thought CNN was one of those mocumentary shows? Certainly seems to be the case. :rolleyes:

7. mac-er macrumors 65816

Old news.
    And, the Mac plug-ins work with the CNN video. (if you don't use Flip4Mac, it gives you an error message, but you click through the message and the video will play)

8. mac-er macrumors 65816

Considering he is in Scotland, and CNN is for American audiences....yes he would.
    And, CNN is not garbage.

9. ToastyX macrumors regular

What do most people use? Windows. Since Windows Media Player comes with Windows, most people are going to use that.

QuickTime is only better on Macs. Many Windows users hate QuickTime for Windows. Also, QuickTime doesn't run on Linux. The only player that runs on Linux is Real Player, but Real Player for Windows is as bad as Windows Media Player for Mac, so nobody wants to use it anymore.

Honestly, all three suck. All three are proprietary. We need a new, open standard that can be implemented on any platform, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

10. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    The other day I ran into this for the first time since I'd gone with a Mac.... considered my options and decided, "bleh, no way!" If I have a burning desire to see some video on CNN I'll go fire up the old Windoze desktop but I'm NOT loading that crap WMP or the obnoxious Real Player into my new Macs. NO way.....

OTB

11. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

There is. Its called Mpeg 4.

12. ToastyX macrumors regular

Unlike the Windows version, Real Player for Mac is not obnoxious.

I mean we need a standard method of displaying movies in a web browser that isn't tied to any particular proprietary product.

13. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Ah, that is GOOD news! Thanks! I might go ahead then and install in here... but I draw the line at putting WMP on this machine or my PB!

OTB

14. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Okay, but MPEG-4 can be played by windows media player, quicktime, and any open source linux movie app. So it really would be the best.

15. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

There is Mplayer browser plugin, there are Java applets that can also play mpeg 4 video without a plugin, so its possible. QT, RP and WiMP also have plugins that can play MPEG 4 so its really possible.

But MPEG group is not the one shoving money down the pants of companies to serve thier files as windows media... thats the problem.

16. Jordan72 macrumors member

I am a Mac owner and enthusiast, but Windows media is actual better at least from the get go. Why?

When you click on media for Windows media player, you get a copy of the file so you can view it later without being online. But, Quicktime doesn't allow you to get the file. If you want to veiw it again, you must be online. That sucks. I think this is really poor of Quicktime to restrict this option for users, where Windows offers it for free.

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If you know where to look, you can find the file you just watched in your browser.