CNN.com poll - Are you willing to pay 99 cents per download for music?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by yzedf, May 12, 2003.

1. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Over at CNN.com there is a poll asking people "Are you willing to pay 99 cents per download for music?"

I was rather surprised by the results!

Yes - 41,638 votes (29%)
    No - 101,365 votes (71%)

I guess the general population doesn't understand, or they just don't rip, mix, and burn???

Does this surprise anyone else?

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Online polls are generally considered non-scientific. Who is taking the pole? How many times have they logged in (multiple pole results could be generated using a bot that deletes the cookies)? What are the demographics?

I would guess that those that regularly go to CNN.com are generally the kind of people that are not going to pay, or even care to download, music over the internet. Most of the people (~300) I work with are on the Internet, and over 65. I would have to say about 3 download MP3s, so are likely to look at it favorably. The rest, like my father, don’t see a value in intellectual property that does not come into their lives physically.

[Edited for spelling]

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

considering it is about 20 dollars for a cd, and it only costs like what 10 to buy an entire cd, the AMS is a great deal; I will have to check it out when i get some money back on old debby card :D

4. alxths macrumors 6502

29% of the population participation in apple's new music service is a hell of a lot of people and surely would be enough to make it profitable for apple. Also, I think paying $10 for an album is a lot more attractive than the $1 per song, which is what the poll focused on.

5. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

That is also very true; although ten dollars is a lot more attractive then the twenty or so your average like music wherehouse charges.

6. yzedf thread starter macrumors 65816

yzedf

Yes, I realize that online polls are far from scientific.

Demographics are people that like CNN on the TV, have a computer, and know that CNN has a website... :rolleyes:

My point was more to fact that online music services start out as a point of interest for the minority of users... but I didn't expect 20 something percent. I was thinking 35-45%...

7. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

My statement wasn't pointed exactly at you (yzedf). I just wanted to point out a demention to polls that most people don't think about. I can't write what I would of expected form internet users. The music companies are making more profit this way, but personally I get pleasure from owning a CD. If this takes off, it will be interesting to see if the number one-hit-wonders increases, as there will be little need to develop albums, just single hits. Also, once a band has “made it”, if their contract lapses, they could –hypothetically- make more money selling songs off their website.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah 29% is actually quite good here, i mean they can go to the record company and say "well you've been fighting this for years with a negative success rate, what if we could give you almost a third of the music-downloading population?" I think they'd jump on that. It'll only get more popular as it catches on and people realize how incredibly easy it is...

pnw

9. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Well, I think that people really can't understand the power of the new model unless they experience first hand or at least see a demo. Before the iTunes store was launched, I might have been inclined to say that $0.99 was a little steep. Now I just can't stay away. It's just too darn easy to buy music when you think to yourself, well its only $0.99...

10. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

While I like the idea of iTMS, and I would certainly be one of that 29%, I'm currently unable to be a buyer. I'm temporarily forced to live with an old PB3400 (don't get me wrong, a fine machine), and so I can't use iTunes4.

One thing that does strike me as odd, and maybe it's just that I don't like the true mainstream music that much, is all of the talk about $20 for a CD. I just bought two CDs for $14.95, including shipping. Yes, it takes going to the right places online, and waiting for shipping to go through, but it sure saves a lot of money...

11. senseibiz macrumors regular

I agree with you, now I can't stay away from Itunes music store, It is so easy to get a great quality song for .99. I already purchased about 30 songs.

12. dynamicd macrumors 6502

I bought both of the Jack Johnson albums and I love them both. I wish they could somehow include the rest of the album art though. You'd think the artist would also like to express their thanks to the people who helped them create their album.

13. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I think some of the votes are a backlash against Apple since it is only availible on a Mac. The PC users are not used to being denied access. :)

The local radio show was moaning about not being able to access AMS yesterday. I guess what people do not understand is that it still is just a test. The Apple community is being used as a guinea pig to see how the service is abused, and how much money it makes in spite of the abuses. By just releasing it to Apple you can test it without making it availible to 95% of the market. (Hense the reservations by the music companies to release it to Canada.)

14. .a macrumors regular

even these 29% are true, i think it is a good result. i know a lot of peaople who do not bougth a cd within a year...
    so, if you've smelt the simplicity and quality of itunes music store, you simply fall in love (well, sort of...) and purchase.
    though i did not make any purchases, in switzerland there is no way to use the store yet :(
    .a

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

all i know is that i i would have said no too if i hadnt seen the store. but now that i have seen it, i am just waiting for some of the songs i want and i will probably buy right away.

iJon