CNN flashes "X" over Cheney's face

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacDawg, Nov 22, 2005.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What's up with this?

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Off topic, but I do not know what is up with CNN - It is on at the gym every morning, and they report this "cutsie" news stuff that is like 3 weeks old...not an impressive news organization.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

saw that this morning on drudge also... but wasn't about to bring it in to the forum here ;) :D

4. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm practicing my "leave it on the porch, ring the doorbell and run" technique.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

hahahahaha

eh... i'm sure once everyone wakes up there will be a prefectly logical explanation for how it was the republicans fault in the first place ;)

6. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Ha...always is...

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Hmmm.... another word for that would be trolling?

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

heck no, i post news links all the time just to let people discus it... an example would be the safe/dangerous city thread that i started yesterday...

nobody has anything to say/an opinion about this? that cnn would flash X marks over a veepee while he's giving a speech?

9. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

weird stuff, especially happening on a very conservative organization like CNN.
    couldn't be just a sort of technical problem? it looks like when Office fails to load an image properly. Does CNN uses windows software?
    One would have to have the tapes of something like an hour before and after and see that this was timed with dick's appearance. If it was, than it possibly is an inside thing and i guess someone will get fired.

Or, it could just be the long sought after first direct evidence of the existence of a god :D

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I don't have a problem with the thread, but I do with the "technique." Stay around and debate a point if you think it's important enough to start a thread about. The "dump" and "run" style is trolling.

As to your original post, I think for opponents of Cheney's politics, giving him anything close to sympathetic press is an incredibly stupid idea. He may be the least popular man in American politics; why would anyone try to make him look put upon? I don't know why the "x" showed up, but if somebody was playing a political prank they're idiots.

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i'm sure it was a prank, and i agree- a stupid one at that...

12. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Oh please, anyone who has been around here for any length of time would know that I am not a troll. The dump and run statement was made tongue in cheek to gwuMACaddict's statement. Good grief.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It could very well be some technical glitch, akin to the infamous Microsoft X. Note that there is some black type over CNN's white type at the bottom of the screen.

Then again, maybe this is a subtle ad for Microsoft's new Xbox. :D

But if it is a prank, then I agree, it's a stupid one. I dislike Cheney quite a bit, but defacing him in a national newscast (if that's what you can call what CNN does) is just wrong.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

How can you be sure?

15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

how often do you hear of X's showing up on the news?

and it's no secret that everybody hates cheney

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Now I'm more convinced than ever that it was a technical/human error. That black type at the bottom of the screen? Look at the right side. There seems to be some sort of picture or graphic as well.

[​IMG]

Probably what happened was some technical director hit the wrong button and "took" a graphic that was still being composed elsewhere in CNN's broadcast studio. If you've ever seen a broadcast switcher, it's a mass of buttons and knobs, many of which overlay images on each other, and if you don't have the exact "pattern" of what interacts with what straight in your head, it's easy to make an error.

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

drudge also reports that there was laughter when it happened at cnn control room.

who knows

18. mac-er macrumors 65816

Are you smoking dope? CNN is hardly a "very conservative organization"....it was founded by an extremely liberal man.

1. This couldn't have been subliminal or you wouldn't have seen it. That is the point of subliminal. Only your subconscious sees it...it would've had to flash much quicker

2. CNN just had a segment on this at about 11:40 AM. They explained that the 'X' is a graphics cue marker that they were using to mark a transition, and a glitch caused the marker to appear on air.

I hardly believe that. Was Drudge in the control room when it happened?
    There is just something illogical about that statement that you know is false.

1. There are very few people in the control room, and they all work for CNN.
    2. I would imagine these people are very trustworthy and have gone through background checks because they have control over the entire CNN broadcast.
    3. Even if there was laughter, I doubt one of these people in the control room would make CNN look bad by leaking that fact.

19. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

don't wanna argue with you, just telling you what drudge is reporting...

20. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

from drudge:

CNN SENIOR MANAGEMENT LAUNCHES INVESTIGATION OF CHENEY 'X'; CONTROL ROOM STAFFER 'LAUGHED' WHEN X FLASHED

CNN management has launched an internal investigation into how a giant black 'X' mark appeared over Vice President Dick Cheney's face -- as he delivered a speech from Washington on Monday!

"We are taking this matter very, very seriously, and I can assure you no one at this network would ever deliberately place an 'X' over the vice president's face," a top CNN source, who asked not to be named at this time, said from New York.

A well-placed CNN insider claims a control room staffer "laughed" when the image appeared shortly after 11 am.

A careful review of the tape now shows a white colored 'X' was also transposed over Cheney's face during the speech, it appeared for less than 1/15 of a second, creating a startling flash effect.

CNN spokeswoman Laurie Goldberg emails: "We concluded this was a technological malfunction not an issue of operator error. A portion of the switcher experienced a momentary glitch. We obviously regret that it happened and are working on the equipment to ensure it is not repeated."

A rival network news director asks: "When has an 'X' ever aired on CNN before? Who had the graphic sitting in the key signal? Who generated the 'X'?"

The vice president himself is said to have brushed off the incident, a White House source said early Tuesday morning.

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

There's no story here. It's a technical glitch. Does anyone think that a black X makes sense as a funny gag? I don't. And as a deliberate attack it would be counterproductive and nonsensical.

Drudge must not have much to talk about if he's stooped to puffing such a nonissue into something.

:yawn:

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Everybody, including you?

23. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

24. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i am very dissapointed with the administration

i can see someone thinking this would be a funny joke, thats all i'm saying- it seems to me that if it really was just a regular technical error, that it would have happened before.

in this political climate, i can see how somebody might think it would be a funny thing to do

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Who knows if it's happened before? I sure don't. The only reason you know it happened this time is because Drudge reported it. That's a pretty weak standard for knowing whether something has or has not occurred before.