Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSE87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Hi all, FYI:

From CNN/Fortune/Money:
"Analysts: iPod sales expected to decline 7.2% year over year"
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/07/15/analysts-ipods-sales-expected-to-decline-7-2-year-over-year/

The first thing to note is "Analysts" and we all know how wrong they can be.

The important part of the article is the sales trend, harder for an analyst to mess up. The graph makes it obvious that iPod/mp3 player sales/demand has been declining since peak in 2008.

On the plus side however, it's nice to see that iPod touch now dominates total iPods sales by >50%. Although, mp3 player demand is declining, the iPod touch is *NOT* just an mp3 player, so the grouping here is somewhat flawed.

I still don't think Apple will kill off the iPod line, much less the iPod touch — not when it account for 7.5M-10M units every quarter.

Eagerly awaiting new iPod touch unveil in Sept…

Cheers! :)

(Oh, found article via J. Gruber's http://daringfireball.net/)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Not a surprise that they are declining the popularity of smartphones that actually do music well is going to mostly kill off the standalone mp3 player market in a few years.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
File this article under duh! Of course ipod sales are going to go down while iphones and other smart phones go up. So will camera sales...

MacSE87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Thanks for your input.

I posted this figuring that not everyone closely keeps track of iPod figures.

Also, as expected as it might be for some, it's still nice to see some real data — particularly for discussions in other iPod touch threads.

Thirdly, there's talk of iPod touch being EOL. I expect one this coming Sept/Xmas, but some don't. These figures/graph, may help someone lean one way or another toward likelihood of a 5th generation iPod touch.

Cheers :)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Thirdly, there's talk of iPod touch being EOL. I expect one this coming Sept/Xmas, but some don't. These figures/graph, may help someone lean one way or another toward likelihood of a 5th generation iPod touch.

I'm pretty sure we will see several more generations of iPod touch, it's too popular to discontinue. My guess is 3 or 4 more updates then Apple will keep the same model another couple of years before finally discontinuing it.

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
I'm pretty sure we will see several more generations of iPod touch, it's too popular to discontinue. My guess is 3 or 4 more updates then Apple will keep the same model another couple of years before finally discontinuing it.

maybe less years,because even now it has many features.How many upgrades will get?Ram,camera,processor that's it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.