CNN

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dagless, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

well folks, as 0.1% of you know i went on holiday recently to the sunny Costa Blanca, Spain. and what a nice hot place it was, maybe too hot for me but hey thats for another day.

my problem was that during the day me and my girlfriend spent most our time inside away from the 35-40oC temperatures, after all... we're brits. and besides our Gamecube and a nice selection of our fave games the TV provided us with another form of entertainment... CNN.

maybe its just the way american TV works but whilst watching CNN i just saw blatant self promotion, shoddy cheap looking adverts for countries and services a seasoned traveler would neigh have heard of and a whole lot of second rate news reporters. some rather amusing incidents/events;

-Some american reporter with a serious blocked up nose calling the beloved city of Edinburgh; EE-din-burg. which got my girlfriend rolling on the floor needless to say.
    -Larry King is he called? some advert for him saying "40,000 interviews, and im just warming up"... by the looks of things he's about 80. i guess being 80 and still warming up is a tad pathetic. *yes i know its supposed to be sarcastic, but still. and some british news reporter who thinks shes changing the world by talking about news on TV? hmm.
    -another advert for the Middle East saying "its all happening here" in terms of development and industry, THEN a news headline of "troubles in the middle east" -_-
    -CONSTANT referrals to money and 'being the first to know' with one advert saying "turning information into opportunity"... like im going to go out and fix the world because i knew that a bomb went off 5 seconds before it was on the BBC :confused:
    -A show called Design360 which looked at amazing spaces, talking about a salt mine in Poland which i've been too, but instead of talking about design they talked about history and tourism. sure thats good and all, but in a design show?
    -FINALLY another advert about some show called Spark. which was FULL of cliched sayings. "know the future!" and again, the CNN obsession with money "when sparks fly" "money is made!"
    -but REALLY finally, they have their priorities mixed up. london blasts. bad crap thing. but no! Lance Armstrong is doing well in the Tour de France so hey he's the headline! not that britain clamping down on terrorism is of any importance. way too US centric.
    but then, theres some incident in the world (forget exactly, might have been another suicide bomb) but it had a much higher fatality numbers than the london attack but showed the London one first?

so is this the case with everyone else? do you find CNN a pretty sad attempt at a news channel (dont get me wrong, they seem to be fast on the scene but in this age they're all as good as each other).
    all in all i think its a pretty pathetic self-obsessed self-publicising channel. but thats me.

PS. sorry if this offends any workers or fans here, its just i've been subjected to this and Eurosport for the past 10 days.

2. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

thank you for that...i hate cnn too and even though i'm canadian i always listen to the bbc online.

i really wish that bbc was repeated on my radio here in canada.

cbc blows too...it's pointless and irrelevant.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The reason behind cnn acting this way is because they are trying keep up with fox news.

News is now info-tainment. And its going to get worse and worse.

the new news on the horizon is blogging.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I enjoyed your post raggedjimmi as I am also not a fan of CNN. I prefer watching Fox News Channel, or on occasion BBC.
    Sorry that you had to watch CNN for 10 days- hope that it did not completely ruin your holiday! ;)

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Welcome to American media.

Still better than FAUX news though

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The only time I might see CNN news is when I'm in an airport waiting for a flight and I'm stuck at the terminal with only that playing on the tv.....needless to say, I don't look forward to it.

CNN.com is a little better because you can basically choose your news from the links and most of the stuff is AP or Reuters anyway.

D

7. ldenman macrumors regular

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I too find it hilarious to watch CNN's self-promotion. They repeated claim to be the best news channel all the while getting destroyed in the ratings by the real cable news channel.

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

one thing i forgot to mention is the constant references to Bill Gates being a revolutionary? i mean trying not to be a fanboy, but don't Microsoft use hardware that originally came out for Apple computers? like USB. could be wrong though.
    meh i've had my rant i'll be good now :)

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Perhaps you should have taken your Powerbook after all... ;)

Hope you enjoyed your holiday aside from CNN (which I rarely watch. BBC News 24 for me!)

11. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I don't know, the BBC is excellent for sure, but I wouldn't say CBC blows.
    I've always found it to be pretty good, nothing close to CNN.

12. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Yes, American media has turned into a circus. It's called Infotainment.
    I watch BBC news on PBS. MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour as well. Keep the fluff to a minimum.
    I also read Atlantic Monthly. They have good writers that go in-depth on subjects.
    What really is annoying is shows like Primtime Live and 20/20 that are easily 80% fluff.
    I could care less what the frick Britney Spears thinks about things. Lord Almighty.

13. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

About 5% of CNN is good, about 5% of Fox is good, about 5% of viewers take it seriously.

The 95% rest is infotainment and stuff driven by various ideologies. That's how american news are. They are not about giving you information, they are infotainment.
    It's sad, but at least once in a while there is really groundbreaking stuff on CNN or FOX.

But for daily news I go to the various online magazines or video streams of European channels.

14. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

my PB would have melted :eek: its hot now and i'm back in my room both windows well and truly opened with winds outside and the PB hinge is passed touching :)

on a sidenote, seems like Londons had another bomb alert. still early though. some guy rang up the radio show my dad was listening to and told him what he knew, something about a nail bomb.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

He-he... similar reasons made me choose BBC World (and, while I had satelite, SKY News) over CNN a long time ago.

Now, it seems I'm not the only one. Our cable service (the by far biggest in Norway) has just dropped CNN from the basic pack, and kept BBC World. No objections from me there.

I'm not happy with the f***ers dropping BBC Prime, but that's another discussion... ;)

16. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    The CNN vs. BBC is one thing. But how can anyone argue about Fox News vs. CNN. Fox News is the most biased second rate, scare tactic news program I have ever wasted my time watching!!! I mean Bill O'Reilly one of their annoucers has been accused twice for sexual accusations!?!?

The Smoking Gun

17. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Before it even starts I know the smoking gun is not a "trusted" news source and I don't believe it to be fact either however the man just screams "shady"

From O'Reilly's July 7 syndicated column:

O'REILLY: "Because I am a simple man, I have but one simple question: If PBS is politically balanced as Bill Moyers says it is, why, then, are only liberal Americans objecting to impending changes at the network? I mean, every far-left crank in town is in a frenzy over a couple of Republicans moving into management positions. After decades of liberal leadership, isn't it fair to give some conservatives a shot? After all, the tax dollars of right-wing Americans also pour into the Public Broadcasting trough. So, hey, let's be fair about things."

I mean this man is outright saying he is going to bolster for republicans in his news cast and coverage.

Whether you are left or right, liberal or conservative, if you are going to watch the news wouldn't you prefer to get news rather then propaganda??

18. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

what's up with all the cnn bashing as of late? i mean they are not a bad news channel are they? they report the news and thats it... eeshh...

19. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

they have no intelligent discussions, they neglect important news but sensationalize worthless news...

i still watch them cause they're my only choice though.

20. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I don't think that I ever watch CNN. I don't think that I ever watch any [American based] news station. For the most part they are all dumb as posts. I prefer the BBC World News. Give me the important stuff, not 24 hour coverage of the Runaway Bride...

21. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

what i find hilarious about fox is how they say their fair and balanced... if that's the case then why did bill orielly play his interview with the president every freakin' time his show was on during the election of 04? and he's always talking about the "far liberal media"... i have yet to hear him say anything about the "far right"...

22. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

Problem is, fluff sells. More people will watch a human interest/scandal type story than a story about international politics. There are plenty of places on cable to watch the intimacies of politics - C-Span, for instance. People just aren't interested. PBS, sort of the American equivalent of the BBC, has news shows devoted to actual news stories. But again, given the choice, many people will choose fluff.

And before you lovely Brits go saying that it's an American thing, take a look at your newspapers. Front page stories and pictures related to William, or Harry, or the other royals, and who they've been seen partying with. Bombing in Bali, page 6.

It all has to do with market forces. If people want to read/watch fluff, more of that type of reporting will surface. If people want to watch real news, more of that type of reporting will take place. Unfortunately, after a long day at work, many people don't want to hear about global warming or AIDS in Africa or the budget. I have to admit, I have to force myself to watch real news once in awhile, and it's not an enjoyable experience - I more feel like it's a civic duty to keep myself up to date.

You can see this reflected when you read stories on yahoo.com - under each category of news, you can see the most popular stories in that category.

Dave

23. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Ayup - CNN is only slightly to the left of Fox and MSNBC. There really isn't a very objective 24-hour news source here in the States. I tend to look at the CNN.com Web page for a summary of what's going on, and then flip to BBC for more coherent news.

Incidentally, how does the BBC stack up against American media? Lots of my friends seem to think of it as the gold-standard of news reporting, but I'm a little more skeptical of its own political leanings. Of course, neither outfit really reports on the Middle East very well, for that you have to go to the English al-Jazeera site, and that presents its own set of complications, too. What do folks on your side of the Atlantic turn to for objective news?

24. mac-er macrumors 65816

First, you were watching CNN International, which is a bit different from the "real" CNN. I don't know how CNNi's rating are, but if they are taking whatever advertising they can get...then the ratings must be bad.

CNN has certainly gone down the tubes since they have started to compete with Faux News.

However, CNN is still the best in the US when it comes to reporting, political news and breaking news.

By the way, Larry King is the man.
    (He's about 70, with a 30 year old wife to boot).

25. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

thats exactly what they are not doing. they bring the sensational news 23 hrs a day. all the importent news are done in 10 min. apart of the occasional report of outstanding quality it's just another infotainment channel.

if you would only get cnn you'd miss 90% of important world news. if you'd get only one of the major german channels, you'd get probably 50% of the important world news.

that's why i don't like cnn. please less talk, less sensational stuff, less repeating news about michael jackson, the peterson trial and that stuff! please more news!