Co-workers from hell (minor vent)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by floyde, Nov 3, 2005.

1. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

For the last 3 days all my co-worker (let's call him Satan from now on) and I had to do was change the style of one of our client's websites (convoluted ASP, but still no biggie). So here we are, one day after the due date and, even though my 12 pages (the site has 15 pages) are ready to go, Satan has been stuck on the same 3 pages since we began...

It gets worse... his "progress" doesn't look anything like the design that our client gave us, mainly because it just looks plain ugly. Not being content with making us late, giving poor quality results, and making me do all the work, Satan is currently using his time to look for "mistakes" in the pages that I already fixed (he forgot to download the latest version, thus, he believes the pages are wrong).

The worst part is that the project leader has no idea that Satan is an incompetent demon. Why? well because he always looks at my work when he wants to see our progress, and he doesn't realize that I only show him MY progress. It's like this every day... I share the blame for his poor work, he shares the praise for my good work.

So, does anyone here have a co-worker from down below? Beelzebub? Belial perhaps?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

That's one of the reasons I am self-employed. I used to work in an office environment. Too much office politics and dumb people everywhere. I became jaded and started hating all that is of humanity.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i had alot of demons working around me when i worked.

Just remember to say "get behind me satan" when he gets to you.

Bless

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You have been covering for an incompetent boob all this time ... instead of fighting quietly to do the jobs yourself, or get another partner?

The demons work should be helping you get overtime pay.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Recently I have lost patience with several of my idiot co-workers and gave them a piece of my mind - no personal attacks, but careful explanations of exactly what they were doing that irritated me. God it felt good. I have made up my mind to be brutally frank rather than go home frustrated and take it out on other people.

Telling your supervisor that Satan is incompetant isn't selling him out - point out every f-up he makes in order to cover your own butt. There's no point getting fried because he's an idiot.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

These are exactly the reasona I am self-employed.

The only person I have to deal with is my cat.

7. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Some books I'd recommend... Either "Crucial Conversations" or "Crucial Confrontations," depending on the approach you want to take.

Either book should provide a good reference on how to deal with the co-worker and communicate the situation to your boss(es) in a way that reflects well on you and constructively addresses the issue.

I recently attended a seminar by one of the authors. Great stuff. They should teach this stuff in high school & college.

8. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Couldn't agree more, except that my cat tells me what to do and takes my chair. I get up to get a beverage/snack and I return to find a gray furry lump in my seat. :rolleyes:

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I didnt know living on Macrumors counted as employment. :p

10. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

That's the next step for me, as soon as I get enough money I'm going to start a business with some friends. But for now...

I guess I used to think that the project leader would figure it out by himself. I always emphasize that what I show him is my work and that I have no clue what Satan is doing (implying that he's probably doing something wrong). *sigh*, I don't know, I guess I pity Satan because he doesn't know that he is evil.

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

[​IMG]

12. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Self-employment? I WISH! I deal with a slew of morons everyday. Not in my deeartment, really, but on the customer service side. Thsoe degenerates only make 7 bucks an hour, so I have to put up with them not caring. How nice.

13. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

Well, it seems we are going to be late again. Clock is ticking, Satan is making no progress. Doesn't seem to care...
    I've spent my idle time calculating how much it would take me to fix those 3 pages starting from scratch, it must be like 3 and a half hours at most. Satan has been on this for 4 days already!:mad: I could just do it myself, but this could be a good oportunity to expose the demon. Hmm, interesting...
    **grins evil grin**

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

That can be extremely difficult in my experience. :p

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think MacRumours is the Devil. No matter how much work I have to do, MR is slowing my progress.

Good idea.

Do it. Do it.