Coasterizing on Tiger - feature or bug?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gfroyle, Jun 22, 2005.

1. gfroyle macrumors member

Feb 8, 2004
    Having some problems with CD burning on Tiger, and want to know if it is a feature, a bug, or just plain old operator error.

I want to burn some photos to CD, so used iPhoto to export a directory containing a few hundred JPG images.

Using Finder, I dragged them to a blank CD-R and burned it... the burn completed fine, and the file names (IMG_2056.JPG, IMG_2057.JPG etc) were correct.

But... the CONTENTS of every single file was identical. I now have 200 or so copies of the SAME picture, but with 200 or so different names...

After coasterizing a few CDs in this fashion, I discovered that all was fine if I dragged a FOLDER containing the images to the blank CD, but that if I just dragged multiple files directly to the blank CD, then all that gets burned is multiple copies of the first file in the listing...

Feature? Bug? Or, (more likely) operator error?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    Sounds like a bug to me. Can't see any reason for it, so it's probably not a feature, and doesn't sound like you were doing anything wrong.

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    Say you have 100 JPG's. Try dragging 25 of them 4 times and then burn it.
  4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Even if you can find a workaround, it sounds like a bug to me. You should probably let Apple know about it (make sure it's repeatable first).
  5. gfroyle thread starter macrumors member

Feb 8, 2004
    It's repeatable on my machine ... have several coasters to prove it.

I guess the question is whether it is a generic MacOS or maybe just a Tiger issue or whether it is just something in my configuration, and so we need somebody else to try it...