Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 21, 2005
COCA-COLA ANNOUNCES PLANS
TO LAUNCH COCA-COLA ZERO
main_photo_newproducts_cocacola_zero.jpg

Real Coca-Cola Taste With Zero Calories
Offers New Option For Cola Lovers

ATLANTA, March 21, 2005 – Coca-Cola North America today announced that it will introduce Coca-Cola Zero, a new zero-calorie cola, in the United States in June.
“Coca-Cola Zero is exactly what young adults told us they wanted – real Coca-Cola taste, zero calories and a new brand they can call their own,” said Dan Dillon, vice president, Diet Portfolio, Coca-Cola North America. “Young people today do not want to compromise on flavor or calories and we think Coca-Cola Zero’s taste and personality will appeal to them.” Are they Freakin kidding us with this :p
Coca-Cola Zero will be supported by an extensive marketing campaign including television, radio, print, and out-of-home advertising, on-line activation, and sampling programs. “Coca-Cola Zero’s personality will be different than any of our other brands, and our marketing will reflect that with some fresh ideas we haven’t tried before,” said Christine Holland, director of marketing, Coca-Cola Zero. Further details on marketing plans will be made available closer to the introduction.
For the curious who can’t wait until June for their first taste of
Coca-Cola Zero, a special Coca-Cola Zero sample pack will be listed on eBay, the World’s Online Marketplace, in early April. All proceeds from the listing will be donated to charity. The sample pack will come with six unique bottles of Coca-Cola Zero and limited edition Coca-Cola Zero-branded premiums. The charity auction marks the first time The Coca-Cola Company has offered any new product on eBay prior to launching it nationally. For further information on the charity auction visit the Coca-Cola Zero website at http://www.cocacolazero.com.
Coca-Cola Zero will be sweetened with a blend of aspartame and acesulfame potassium (ace-k), and will be available in a broad range of package sizes. The launch of Coca-Cola Zero will have no impact on Coca-Cola North America’s ongoing support for Diet Coke, America’s #1 diet soft drink, as the target audiences are different.
The launch of Coca-Cola Zero continues a year of innovation for
Coca-Cola North America, including a range of new product offerings across all beverage categories. Full Throttle energy drink, Coca-Cola with Lime, and Dasani Lemon and Dasani Raspberry flavored waters have already been launched, with Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda as well as Coca-Cola Zero slated for later this year, as well as new packaging for POWERade.
The Coca-Cola Company is the world's largest beverage company. Along with Coca-Cola, recognized as the world's best-known brand, the Company markets four of the world's top five soft drink brands, including Diet Coke, Fanta and Sprite, and a wide range of other beverages, including diet and light soft drinks, waters, juices and juice drinks, teas, coffees and sports drinks. Through the world's largest distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy the Company's beverages at a rate exceeding 1 billion servings each day.
For more information about The Coca-Cola Company, please visit our website at http://www.coca-cola.com.

So let me try to count all the Diet Cokes...
1)Diet Coke 2)Caffine Free Diet Coke 3) Diet Coke with Lime 4) Diet Coke with Lemon 5) Diet Vanilla Coke 6)Diet Coke with Splenda 7)Coke C2 (1/2 sugar) 8) Coke Zero Did I forget any?

Coke zero also has two artificial sweetners, instead of just one. MMMM Heres to your health? Well.. they are one of the strongest companies when it comes to Branding, Identity, and Marketing....
http://www2.coca-cola.com/presscenter/newproducts_cocacola_zero.html

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
The artificla sweeteners don't do anything to you, unless you are missing a gene - then, it reduces your I.Q.

We learned all about it in science.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
dotdotdot said:
The artificla sweeteners don't do anything to you, unless you are missing a gene - then, it reduces your I.Q.

It's more the effects we don't yet know about that worry me more.

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 21, 2005
dotdotdot said:

madjew said:
It's more the effects we don't yet know about that worry me more.
MP-BTN-031.jpg

Just what you be talkin about, I drink them there Diet Coke and it aint hurt me non! :p :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Hmmm... must be out to counter Pepsi One. Apparently, those people who now suffer the one calorie will be able to drink something similar with zero calories. How nice. I mean, someone who drank ten sodas a day for a year would gain one less pound that year, all else being equal. :rolleyes:

Seems odd that they don't appear to see this as a threat to Diet Coke.

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 21, 2005
jsw said:
Hmmm... must be out to counter Pepsi One. Apparently, those people who now suffer the one calorie will be able to drink something similar with zero calories. How nice. I mean, someone who drank ten sodas a day for a year would gain one less pound that year, all else being equal. :rolleyes:

Seems odd that they don't appear to see this as a threat to Diet Coke.
Well, whats odd is that Diet Coke and Coke zero are basically the same thing.
All the ingredients are the same, two ingredients have been switched in order and an addition sweeter has been added in Coke Zero.

I went to a grocery store for lunch one day at work, and there was a whole fridge filled with all the diff. Diet Cokes, I bought one of each, returned to work lined them up and asked my co-workers "How many different Diet Cokes do we really need in this world?"

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I've lost my taste for all soda. Occasionally when I eat out I am stuck with soda of one kind or another.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
There are too many types of cokes, imo. Reminds me of Apple's Performa line-up. Coke, Diet Coke, Cherry Coke, Diet Cherry Coke, Diet Vanilla Coke, Diet Vanilla Cherry Coke, Diet Lemon Coke, Diet Lime Coke, and now Coke Zero. Ugggh. I'll just stick with water, thanks.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
jamdr said:
There are too many types of cokes, imo. Reminds me of Apple's Performa line-up. Coke, Diet Coke, Cherry Coke, Diet Cherry Coke, Diet Vanilla Coke, Diet Vanilla Cherry Coke, Diet Lemon Coke, Diet Lime Coke, and now Coke Zero. Ugggh. I'll just stick with water, thanks.

There's regular Lime Coke now too...the lime makes it taste a lot like diet coke. And don't forget C2, the low-carb Coke.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
jamdr said:
you forgot regular Vanilla Coke. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
dotdotdot said:

Yeah, and it causes brain tumours.

I don't understand this new "innovation" either. So they shaved off that single calorie. Big deal. Fat Coke drinkers will still be fat, and that calorie isn't gonna do anything to help your weight.

Maybe if you're so worried about your health, you would stick to drinks that are actually healthy for you.

mactonight

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2005
VT, USA
dotdotdot said:

Google for aspartame poisioning. It is nasty, nasty stuff. It contains phenylalanine (notice the warning about it on the diet coke can), so if you are PKU sensitive (the genetic deficiency you mention) it will not make you stupid, it will make you very sick - Fibromyalgia and MS-like symptoms.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=aspartame+poisoning

JordanNZ said:
Meh, i'll avoid anything that contains methanol. Ugh.

Yeah, methanol in its native state is pretty bad, but it your body it breaks down into formaldehyde!

Bottom line, avoid aspartame (aka Equal and NutraSweet). If you want a calorie-free beverage, drink water. I think the jury is still out on sucralose (aka splenda).

ebow

macrumors 6502a
dsharits said:
admanimal said:
jamdr said:

There's regular Lime Coke now too...the lime makes it taste a lot like diet coke. And don't forget C2, the low-carb Coke.

you forgot regular Vanilla Coke. :)

I believe there is also regular Vanilla Cherry Coke, though I'm not 100% sure. Oh, and also Caffeine-free Coke and Caffeine-free Diet Coke. Plus, I think there are Coke II products in some places. It's a Coke, Coke, Coke World!

And despite all this variety, I am just now weaning myself off my daily can of Coke, C2, or Vanilla Coke...

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
jamdr said:

You forgot Coke C2, Coke with Lime, and Diet Coke with Splenda.
And, you haven't seen anything yet..
Coke with Orange, Diet Coke with Orange, Coke with Chocolate, and Diet Coke with Chocolate are all in the works, supposedly. There is also a new Coke called Vault coming out that will compete with Mountain Dew.

Coke Zero is intended to be marketed to men..who don't want to be seen drinking "Diet" Coke. Supposedly, the Coke Zero is also not supposed to taste "diety" at all.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Sucralose, aspatame... they all taste like ass to me, regardless of what they do to your body.

My sweetener of choice is good ol' sugar. Won't make me fat because I drink about one soda per day, if even that.

And none of that "sugar in the raw" crap either... I like my sugar without dirt thankyouverymuch! ;)

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
dotdotdot said:

Artificail sweetners make me vomit. Literally.

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
You're all missing the point of this

The new coke zero has the original "Coca Cola" formula, albeit with a different sweetner. "Diet Coke" contains what was then a wholly-new formulation that more closely resembles Pepsi than traditional Coca and Kola nut "Coca Cola". In fact, the success of "Diet Coke" was one of the reasons that pushed the company towards the ill-fated "New Coke" effort. "New Coke" was essentially the "Diet Coke" formulation sweetened with sugar (or corn sweetners).

As a long-time Coke drinker, I look forward to being able to enjoy the same flavor in a diet drink.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
...and people who like Coca-Cola will still drink it, and not this... and people who like to try something new will drink this... and the world will keep spinning...

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Two questions:

Although not GOOD for you, is regular coke not BAD for you? It contains no preservatives and no artificial sweeteners.

Also, is splenda bad for you, as it is now being touted as the safest sugar substitute?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.