Cocoa end-user Tips & Tricks Guide?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by netdog, Jul 15, 2006.

1. netdog macrumors 603

Feb 6, 2006
    I just learned about the Ctrl-Option-D command to bring up the dictionary/thesaurus for any word that the mouse is over and am wondering if there are lots more such keyboard commands that interact specifically with Cocoa apps.* If so, I may just have to dump Office and Firefox and go with Mail, Pages and Safari (or maybe Camino).
  2. GodBless macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    Not really.

Application Tips:

Safari vs Firefox:
    I like Safari more than Firefox because it gives a red underline spell check (under words that are spelled incorrectly) when you type in forums like this one. Also Safari's interface looks better than Firefox's Windows based one (in my humble opinion). Safari does tend to delay (or temporarily stalls/freezes) at times (or at least it has with me). It also has as a short history (unless you enable the long history by 3rd party software -- linked here). Another thing is that Safari doesn't do other searches besides google in its search box (unless you use 3rd party software again -- linked here).

Mail is the very best email program I've ever used by far. I haven't wanted to try anything else for a while because it does everything that I have wanted it to do. :)

Pages, Keynote and Microsoft Office:
    Pages doesn't at all beat out or even compare to Word. Word and Excel are excellent programs but not PowerPoint. Keynote (part of iWork) beats out PowerPoint by far if you want high quality presentations. Do remember that it is wise to continue to use Word because Pages doesn't compare to it.

Keyboard Shortcut Advice:
    For good keyboard shortcut advice visit this guide or download and use this widget. For interesting keyboard shortcuts view this thread people especially liked post #4 in that thread. ;)