CoD Graphics

Discussion in 'Games' started by ~MiB~, Jun 8, 2004.

1. ~MiB~ macrumors newbie

When I run SP CoD the extra graphics on the models, backpacks, tools, knives ammo belts etc don't show up. However, they do on MP. Does anyone know how to fix this, or is it simply a problem with all CoD games on mac.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It shows up on mine.

Make sure the model detail is set to high in the SP Options.

3. ~MiB~ thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the model detail to maximum, and the textures to high.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Then you should see things like rope and shovels on their backs.
    Maybe your screen resolution isn't high enough? 1024x768 or higher?

5. ~MiB~ thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, I changed the resolution, no effect.
    Does anyone at all know anything about this?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Something is screwy then.. becuase I see em.

Dunno what to tell you. I see ropes, shovels, packs, webbing straps, the works. Fine, fine detail.

nVidia GeForce4 Ti (128MB)

7. ~MiB~ thread starter macrumors newbie

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

DP 1.33GHz G4, 1GB RAM, nVidia GeForce4 Ti (128MB)

All settings cranked up to the highest levels in the game.

I did see something somewhere that said if you didn't have enough RAM that the game would not render some of the skins. Not sure if I believe that though.

9. ~MiB~ thread starter macrumors newbie

IDK. I have a Radeon 9200 32MB Vram, a G4, 1.25Ghz, and 512 MB of RAM. I doubt the thing about the lack of RAM is true, since they appear in MP. Also, does changing the model detail affect the display of the graphics on the models, on mine it doesn't really seem to do anything except render delete the guns from models at furthur distances.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I suspect the lack of VRAM to be the issue here. That's the minimum requirement for video RAM. And typically those requirements aren't spec'd out for what will make the game runs at it's highest speed with best graphics.

11. ~MiB~ thread starter macrumors newbie

12. benpatient macrumors 68000

this doesn't sound like a "lack of" something issue (ram, vram, speed, etc).

it sounds like a glitch. period.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

How do you explain that I'm not seeing it?

14. ~MiB~ thread starter macrumors newbie

with my disk or what?
    I've already tried reinstalling a few times... doesn't do anything.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think I'll stick with lack of VRAM limits how much the game can actually render and display while you are playing SP.
    In MP, much of the raw processing is done on the server side, leaving your processor and graphics card more opportunity to do better rendering.

16. wide macrumors 6502a

hmmm....

i have a pismo 500 mhz g3, with an 8mb video card, and i installed the CoD demo....

you wouldn't believe the graphics!!
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    every model appears in white. you cannot see anything except for the ground and an outline of the rifle. very slow and laggy..perhaps the most disgusting thing i have ever seen.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The problem is probably due to haviing only 32 MB of VRAM, but email Aspyr and see whether they have any suggestions.

18. benpatient macrumors 68000

that is actually backwards. interacting with a server during gameplay will never speed up a modern multiplayer game, nor will it "leave your processor and graphics card more opportunity to do better rendering."

all the benefits gained from not having to control the AI of other on-screen characters on the client side (because other people are doing that) are negated by the necessity of rendering and computing client-side predictions. Your computer gets an update from the server every few fractions of a second, ideally, and it must then "anticipate" where a remote client is going to go between now and the next update from the server. Without this sort of calculation going on all the time in a MP game, you'd end up watching guys hopping from place to place in a very unrealistic manner. it would be unplayable unless you were all on a LAN with a local server running the game.

The most likely problem here is either graphics drivers or implimentation...something either in your physical machine or in the OS or in the game code isn't working properly. The only way it is related to your VRAM is if you somehow have a bad VRAM chip...do you play any other modern 3d games? do you get weird graphical problems on them, as well?

32mb of vram should be enough. the fact that the problem persists when you lower the settings/resolution indicates it is something else entirely. I recommend you contact Aspyr and tell them about your problems...i don't know what their tech support is like, but you probably aren't the first person with this problem.

19. ~MiB~ thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, thanks guys. I have planty of other 3D games, AOM, Warcraft,and there aren't any problems with them. I emailed Aspyr about 2 days ago, no reply.

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Tried verifying the problem persist by logging in as another user and testing the game out?

21. ~MiB~ thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, same porblems on all four accounts on my system.