CoD1 or CoD2...which one am I better off with?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Moo-Boo, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Moo-Boo macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

Greetings my Mac aficionados,

Another dilemma has raised its evil but pretty head. This time, it's whether or not to purchase Call of Duty the original or the new Call of Duty 2. The problem is my Mac hardware, and price, but to a smaller extent. My hardware is a G4 15" 1GHz PowerBook and a 1.9GHz 17" G5 iMac (both should be here by the middle of next week). Both sport 512MB of RAM. CoD1 is a little more expensive at AU$76 (inc. postage) but you get the Offensive add on pack with it. CoD2 is AU$64. Based on price alone, I'd be getting CoD2, but I'm not sure my hardware is capable of it. Yet, I heard it's better than the original. And I hope you get to go on single missions, much like that of RTCW. Or do I just race out and get a copy of Battlefield 1942? What do all of you think? Your advice is always right, thus invaluable.

Thanks for being so understanding,

Matt (and the cat)

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If you can get Call of Duty and Call of Duty: United Offensive for the price of 1 game I'd get that, and later on buy Call of Duty 2. The reality is all 3 kick serious a$$!

3. Moo-Boo thread starter macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

Yes, you make an excellent argument! I hadn't thought of it like that! Thanks!

Matt (and the cat)

4. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I've tried CoD2 on my PB and while it does run, its not pretty. Framerate is constantly between 10 and 25 FPS and in a heavy fire fight expect that to drop to almost 0. One thing you might try is running the demos for CoD1 and CoD2. They will give you a good indication on how well the games will play on your hardware. Personally, I think the multiplayer in CoD:UO is better the CoD2 anyway (not to mention it actually runs on my systems).

5. Moo-Boo thread starter macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

You've certainly done your homework. If your PB's results on CoD2 aren't pretty, then mine will certainly be downright ugly! I think, as you suggest, that a game that actually runs on my hardware (both machines) would be better value than the game that runs on only one, and probably fairly slowly anyway. Time to make a decision...

6. Moo-Boo thread starter macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

Thank you both very much for your wonderful input, which, as always, has been instrumental in helping form a decision. I think I'm going to buy the original Call of Duty with the United Offensive add-on pack, which is quite good value for $76 in total. The game will run on both machines very nicely, yet still retain excellent graphics and immersive gameplay. From what I've read, CoD is the best WWII fps around, and, in the future, if I upgrade from the PB and can afford more RAM for the iMac, I'll get CoD2.

Thanks once again, you've been champions!

Take care,

Matt (and the cat)