COD2 on 2.1GhZ iMac G5?

Discussion in 'Games' started by smwatson, Jun 29, 2006.

1. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Basically, what i wanted to know was will I be able to run this game with my iMac? Iv just glanced at the system requirements, and they appear to be rather steep.
    Cheers

2. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Yes you should run it quite nicely.

3. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I run it on a G5 1.8 single processor with an ATI 9800pro video card and it had very poor frame rates even without boosting up the graphic settings and all. Disappointed with it, since my friends old PC at the same speed and similar video card plays it perfectly even at higher settings.

4. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

I run it on the smae set up and I gt 23 to 60fps. Slows down when there's a lot of volumetric smoke and a bunch of people running around, but other than that it's great. It actually runs better than CoDUO does. How much RAM do you have? What screen resolution are you running?

5. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I ran it at 640x480, have 2.5 GB Ram, and about 180 GB free on the HD.

If nothing was going on it ran about 30-40 I would say, but as soon as fighting started and especially going into battle, the fps dropped and to me it was unplayable.

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

If you're curious about Aspyr games working on your Mac, try this;

Aspyr Game Agent

7. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

Wow, you've got more ram than me <jealous> and it's giving you that low of frame rate. I run it at 800X600 (I think that's what it's set at) and I'm getting better than that. I wonder what's different (other than your higher ram) that's causing it. You said that you have the ATI 9800Pro right? That's what I have, the se becasue I have an older 20" cinema display.
    I wish I could offer some input, it's a great game. Do you have the same problem in multi-player as well as single-player?

Rob

8. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I never play multiplayer, just single player missions. The only thing I can think of is maybe because my Ati9800 is the older 128meg 2x/4x PCI version, rather than the 8x version. Otherwise I have no idea. I could try just shutting down all effects and details but that would ruin the experience for me :)

9. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

I will definetly want to run at a better resolution that 640 x 480, at least 1280 x 768 frankly. Is this possible?

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

No. it would be 1280x800, as your screen is 16:10 :D

It seems that COD2 runs better at screen's native resolution with non-low settings :rolleyes:

Maybe somebody could try it?

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would think that it would run fine.

12. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

im downloading demo to check performance. But if its anything like the PC demo, then it will run slow anyway.

13. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

I was able to run the demo at 1650 x 1050, with all settings on their highest possible levels, apart from the render mode which i left on auto.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think that all of the iSight iMacs should get at least decent performance, if not quite good performance.

When I get a chance I'm going to give it a shot on the G4 tower in my sig just for the heck of it. Doom 3 performnce was better than expected so we'll see. I'm not expecting much but I'm going to throw another 512MB stick of RAM at it in a month or so which may help. I also have my 1.33Ghz/1.25GB/RAD9700 15" PowerBook but I think that it would choke.

I still live in the G4 era but soon the PowerBook will become a MBP...

15. Metal Zombie macrumors regular

Metal Zombie

I have a 2.1 Ghz G5 with 1.5 Gig of RAM and the demo runs terribly. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone with this system.

16. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Ok, so I don't feel so bad now that i'm not the only one with bad performance of the game.

17. batman123 macrumors regular

Will COD2 work on a 2.16 MacPro with 2GB RAM and the 256mb vcard????? :confused:

18. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

update not out yet?

I dont think they've put out any updates or patches yet. People might see performance climb a little then.

One of my friends has a 1.8 G5 single and an ATI X800 and it runs very smooth at medium settings and not bad at high.

One of my other friends has 2 powermacs and he says he finds performance snappier under tiger than panther.

Nevertheless, this game will stretch system requirements.:D

19. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

it should do well

You got plenty of ram and your card runs on PCIexpress, which is faster than AGP. I imagine you have matched pairs of ram which gives a boost in performance in some apps. At barefeats.com they saw matched pairs on macbook pro gave an 18% boost in Doom3 tests. The only thing might hold you back is speed of your hard drive. But overall, you should get pretty good performance.:)

20. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Dude, make sure you have resolution at 1650 x 1050 or it will run extremely slowly. Anti aliasing @ 4x, Antiriscopic (spelling?) filtering, everything else on Auto. You can max out texture settings and put more corpses and still get good performance, but its better with just normal and auto.

21. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

i ran the COD2 demo on my macbook (see sig) and it ran beautifully even on the highest settings. of course it wasnt on DX9 since the integrated graphics doesnt support it. the graphics were better than original half life and was very smooth and very playable. there was a lot of fan noise though.

so i would def imagine that you iMac can definitely run the game, just depends on what settings.

22. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator