CoD3 on the Wii, not for me

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kevin83165, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

This has got to be the hardest to control game I have ever tried to play.:mad: Not just me, but everyone here has tried it and hates it. I found that if you go into the games settings and adjust the H/V sensitivity almost all the way down, (from all the way up imho) you don't just stand there and spin around quite as much.

I (finally) got to the part trying to drive the vehicle by holding the Wiimote and nunchuck like a steering wheel and this is where I will stop playing permanently because I can't get the thing to steer except occasionally. I tried so hard to make myself get at least $10 worth of my $50 + tax wasted but can't.

Why could they not have included the option to play at least with the classic controller? And where is multiplayer? :eek:

I guess I will lick my wounds and take this thing while I still can and trade it, before we find it in the bargain bin anyway:mad: You guys all have approximately 3 hours to flame me or tell me what I am doing wrong here before I am mall bound:D

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I don't think its bad...I like it, but I'm having some trouble with the 2nd driving part still very fun

3. Kevin83165 thread starter macrumors regular

Does your vehicle actually steer? I have not been able to get mine to turn at all except on that rare occasion and I run into that stupid wall constantly, while getting shot up trying to reverse and steer the other way

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Ya I've had no problem get to where I need to(expect for get blown up :D )..thats weird for you

5. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Unrelated to gameplay...

Is there actually no online play for COD3 on the wii?
    What about non-online multiplayer?

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It took me about 4-5 minutes (first level, just after the training bit) to get to grips with it and easily take out the enemies. No idea about driving or anything else but the FPS bit was quite good.

7. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

No and no. :(

No online play in any Wii titles yet; the first one will supposedly be the new Pokemon coming Q1 2007.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746145p2.html

I remembered (while reading this) that when I was planning on buying a Wii and CoD3 was going to be one of my purchased titles, then I read that it wouldn't have any sort of multiplayer on the Wii version and couldn't believe it. :confused: :rolleyes:

8. Kevin83165 thread starter macrumors regular

I took it back to EB games and they offered me $25 trade credit for it. I told em to go pound sand I am just gonna keep it since I paid $50 plus tax.

Mabey I will keep forcing myself to like it some day :eek:

9. rob finch macrumors member

I found it very hard at first, and I played a lot of FPS's on the Xbox so found it frustrating, I felt like I was learning to play all over again. But, I stuck with it and now I'm really enjoying it. I still get killed far too often but I'm getting good at aiming quickly and accurately. The driving was not well implemented and should have been left to the analogue stick.

Now that you aren't trading it, keep at it, you might find it more enjoyable as you learn the control method more.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What about the weather game? ;) (contains language)

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I should hope it has language else I'd be left interpreting the pictures.

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I would like to thank the thumb-stick, because it has created a generation of inexperienced gamers that are so easilly fragged in FPSs, do to their slug-like-reflexes and overall lack of precision. Thumb-twiddling NOOB. :p :D

I kid of course. :)

You're experiencing the same type frustration I encountered, the first time I played a game that had mouse aiming. That was a long time ago. Moving from the mouse to the Wiimote was second nature for me. Once you get familiar with it, you'll begin to appreciated how much better it is for FPS games. Developers can actually make console FPSs now that aren't dumbed-down to accomadate the inferior thumb-stick method.

It sounds like EA didn't spend the time needed to refine the steering and slapped it in as an afterthought, just like some of the SuperMonkeyBall mini games and their tardastic controls.

Wait for Metroid Prime 3, because unlike so many of these intitial release Wii games, it's not being rushed. I read on GameSpy the controls are very good, even for new comers.

That PennyArcade skit and its strong language is funny. I don't normally laugh at their stuff. :)

<]=)

13. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

My household now has both a Wii and a 360, however I'm glad from what I've read here that Call of Duty 3 ended up on the 360 :p

However on a side note: I've only gotten about 4 or 5 levels into the game so far (the Wii and 360 have been duking it out for TV dominance, so play time is limited) and I have to say Call of Duty 2 was a bit more...dynamic, so to speak. Plus, I'm dieing in Call of Duty 3 the way I did in Brothers in Arms, 3 times per level + :D . It's not a bad game though, in fact it's really good, and intense.

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

And that's a good thing. :D

I can't stand thumb-aiming, so I wouldn't enjoy it on a X360 or PS2. But at least the X360 has online play, but at a price, which throws me into the following rant; :)

MS is in the process of funneling PC gaming to the X360, so games like COD3, which should've been released for Windows, are instead being made for the X360 and its gimped controls, just so MS can charge for services that have always been free on the PC.

MS has done so much good for PC gaming, and now they're in the process of destroying what helped Windows to become so popular. Vista doesn't even offer direct support for hardware accelerated 3D sound. Way to go MS, but I guess they're just doing what they think will save them from their current state of stagnation. Windows is also rampant with piracy, so moving away from it is probably the best thing for them to do.

Blah. I have my many gripes. :eek:

<]=)

15. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I've had COD3 for Wii for a couple of weeks now, and I think it's well-written apart from the driving section which is buggy as hell (you'll notice that the nunchuck attachment effectively doesn't work in the driving section - try just using the wiimote as if you were driving with right hand only).

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think it sucks ass, a long with Red Steel.

I dont buy it's because you are not used to control scheme, I play plenty of FPS games on the pc/mac and consoles.

I've given both these games more than 5 hours each in order to become aclimatised to their controls and still do not 'feel' it.

I have great precision with the wii remote in aiming and shooting, you only have to see my gold score on wii play shooting for proof of that :)

But to me both games just feel unnatural and clumsy, and despite trying to modify sensitivity settings neither still feel any better.

The best you can do wih these games is 'manage' but that's still feels like hard work and while I want to be enjoying the game, you are constanty reminded of the clumsy control and it means there is litter immersion into the game, you always feel apart from it.

I love the wii, but fail to be impressed with either of these christmas turkeys.

17. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I saw that yesterday; god I love PA. :D

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i find it OK nothing more nothing less

i found it not really difficult to control except perhaps the close combat sequences where you have to finish off the enemy soldier after struggling for the gun

i found driving to be fun despite the fact that i got killed 3-4 times (placing explosive charges and using cranes was pretty awesome too) hadn't any big problems with steering
    how many driving parts are there ? i'm at mission 6 or 7

my biggest problem with cod3 is that you can't choose if your own/enemy soldiers speak english (or at least i missed that option which the close combat series had like 7-8 years ago ...)
    having all soldiers speak german is simply too confusing.. just like the choices of colors sometimes feel off ... it really is just grey with brown and dark green

apart of that it played like every other call of duty to me .. i guess we gonna see lots of improvements next batch of shooters

19. benpatient macrumors 68000

that's actually not true. it doesn't offer support for older, non-standardized hardware accellerated 3d sound chips like EAX. It has established a standard for all future 3d sound chipsets to use which will result in a much more consistent audio experience (and a better one for most people, too), but the trade off is that only new hardware will support 3d sound. vista has a built-in system-wide room compensation system for surround sound. it's been removed from the kernel, so a bad 3rd party audio driver shouldn't cause a hard reboot anymore. This is a good thing. You can also set the volume for each program to a different level (so that a system "dong" will play at say 10% of the max volume, something OS X desperately needs!) Unfortunately they don't seem interested in allowing direct passthrough unless the software designer enables "exclusive mode."

funny to see a complaint about Vista's handling of 3d sound accelleration on a mac gaming forum, considering that there's zero 3d sound in mac games.

20. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Yes, it is. They're two very different consoles, so they offer a nice variety. Haven't actually played the Wii yet though, been to hooked in actually getting some play time in on my 360 along with some other mumbo jumbo...I feel like my poor PC may suffer from some neglect though :(