Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to developer Nick Frey (via 9to5Mac) code within iOS 7 hints at a new upgraded processor, likely the A7 processor expected to be included with the iPhone 5S. The code includes a reference to an s5L8960x application processor, which is a higher iteration than the s518950x and the s518955x numeration found on the A6 and A6X processors used in the iPhone 5 and the fourth generation iPad.

a7samsung.jpg
As noted by 9to5Mac, it appears that the upcoming system-on-a-chip will include Samsung components.
Interestingly, it appears that Apple will again work with Samsung for this new chip. The main system-on-a-chip will include some Samsung components- at least to power the display, according to analysis of the above code by a person familiar with Apple's chip design process.

This source also says that over the past couple of years, Apple has hit roadblocks (in relation to processing speed) with both the upcoming A7 and A8 chip, but it appears those that issues have been resolved.
While the appearance of next generation Samsung components in iOS 7 confirms reports that Apple will stick with Samsung for its 2013 product line rather than switching exclusively to TSMC, it remains unclear whether or not TSMC is also involved in the chip production. A March rumor suggested that Apple might use both Samsung and TSMC to produce its 2013 chips, and a prototype iPhone 5S revealed a K1A0062 identifier on the main A7 chip, suggesting that it could potentially be manufactured by TSMC.

Apple has been reportedly aiming to reduce its reliance on Samsung, and in June, the company signed a three year deal with TSMC that will see TSMC producing Apple's A8 chips and potentially its A9/A9X chips as well. Apple did, however, backtrack and sign a second deal with Samsung that will see Samsung producing 14-nm chips for the company beginning in 2015, indicating that Apple plans to continue working with both companies.

Article Link: Code in iOS 7 Suggests Upcoming A7 iPhone Chip Will Include Samsung Components

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Hoping it's a quad core CPU.

With all the software optimizations that Apple can do, the iPhone 5S will be a true beast of a phone.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Hoping it's a quad core CPU.

With all the software optimizations that Apple can do, the iPhone 5S will be a true beast of a phone.

But maybe because of all those software optimizations it will remain dual core. Does the next iPhone/iOS need a quad core processor? On one hand, the iPhone 5 runs smoothly, but on the other hand, it'd be odd for Apple to release a 2013 flagship phone with a dual core processor.

Perhaps the 5S will be quad core while the 5C (or whatever) will be dual core.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
That, and I hope they also include 2 GB RAM, though I doubt it...

That'd be great! I doubt it, too, since the December 2012 prototype of the 5S showed a processor that could support only up to 1 GB of RAM. This may have changed, though (hopefully).

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I'm still shocked Samsung would supply Apple with parts. Even though business is business, they lost $1 billion over some frivolous excuse.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I'm still shocked Samsung would supply Apple with parts. Even though business is business, they lost $1 billion over some frivolous excuse.

I'm pretty sure that it's illegal to discriminate against certain corporations when selling parts.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
That, and I hope they also include 2 GB RAM, though I doubt it...

Exactly how I feel. I'm hoping for some extra RAM, especially since iOS 7 has new multitasking API's.

But maybe because of all those software optimizations it will remain dual core. Does the next iPhone/iOS need a quad core processor? On one hand, the iPhone 5 runs smoothly, but on the other hand, it'd be odd for Apple to release a 2013 flagship phone with a dual core processor.

Perhaps the 5S will be quad core while the 5C (or whatever) will be dual core.

It probably will need a quad core to be honest. iOS 7 has proved to be more graphic intensive (on second thought, a quad core GPU rather than CPU) than 6 and I'm sure Apple will want it running its greatest on its new flagship phone. Plus, it's 2013 and dual core seems a bit outdated at this point. Usually S models introduce huge improvements in processing as well.

That makes sense, 5S quad core, 5C dual core.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
That'd be great! I doubt it, too, since the December 2012 prototype of the 5S showed a processor that could support only up to 1 GB of RAM. This may have changed, though (hopefully).

You mean the processor can only support a certain max amount of RAM? Sounds a bit strange.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
You mean the processor can only support a certain max amount of RAM? Sounds a bit strange.

Sorry, I mixed up what I remember from that article. Here's the direct quotation: "Additional markings on this new iPhone 5S chip indicate that it carries Elpida DRAM, apparently in the same 1 GB amount seen on the A6."

I guess that chance of 2 GB RAM is even higher. This is an early prototype after all.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
RAM is a constant energy drain, they will increase the amount as necessary. More RAM may not be necessary right now.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....Apple has been reportedly aiming to reduce its reliance on Samsung, and in June, the company signed a three year deal with TSMC that will see TSMC producing Apple's A8 chips and potentially its A9/A9X chips as well. Apple did, however, backtrack and sign a second deal with Samsung that will see Samsung producing 14-nm chips for the company beginning in 2015, indicating that Apple plans to continue working with both companies.

Article Link: Code in iOS 7 Suggests Upcoming A7 iPhone Chip Will Include Samsung Components

Good for APPLE to keep their options open. Business is business; leave emotions out of it. Secure the best parts, with the best supply lines, wherever that may be.

Why wouldn't they. There's billions of $$ in contracts at stake. They'd be foolish not to.

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

According to developer Nick Frey (via 9to5Mac) code within iOS 7 hints at a new upgraded processor, likely the A7 processor expected to be included with the iPhone 5S. The code includes a reference to an s5L8960x application processor, which is a higher iteration than the s518950x and the s518955x numeration found on the A6 and A6X processors used in the iPhone 5 and the fourth generation iPad.

[snip]

I want the A7X to be in my iPhone, because that would be Rokken like Dokken!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.